Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Monday, September 13, 2010

The "Dreaded" Calling

At church there seem to be certain callings that people just dread getting--nursery leader/assistant, primary teacher, scout leader/den mother, Relief Society president/teacher, etc. I have often heard people say, "Oh, I could never do that!" and yes, my friends, I too have said that. Multiple times. About multiple callings. And I think the Lord is tired of hearing me say that. So he called me to one of those "dreaded" callings, one that people shy away from; one that when someone else is called to it they sigh a HUGE sigh of relief that it wasn't them.  What might it be you wonder? Well, I still can't believe it myself. Gospel Doctrine teacher. I'm scared out of my mind. I don't post this to boast in any way, shape, or form, because if ever I've felt inadequate for a calling it is this one by far. If ever I have felt like I don't know what I am doing in a calling, it is now. The doubts have been raging in my head and I have seriously thought to myself, how am I going to do this? The Old Testament? And we aren't even past Isaiah yet? How am I going to get through Isaiah? It is times like these that I am so thankful for prayer and for the Spirit to lead and guide and walk beside when I so need it. I am also so thankful for the encouraging words from friends and loved ones, even if it is just people at church saying "I'm glad it's not me!". This will be a humongous learning experience for me, just where I need it the most. I am beginning to realize that this is something that should not be dreaded. Do I want to progress or don't I? Do I want to serve or don't I? Yes, I do. So it's time to buck up, muster up some self-confidence, and give this my best shot. So if anyone has any tips, any good references, anything you like/dislike about your Gospel Doctrine class, I'd love to hear it. I haven't been in Gospel Doctrine for years so I am feeling quite rusty as it is just from not being in there and seeing how it usually goes. Thanks! I'm already planning to wear something this Sunday that doesn't show sweat spots under my arm pits. I have a story about that...but I'll save it for another time.



14 comments:

Anita said...

What a perfect fit. I don't doubt for one minute that you will be a great Gospel Doctrine teacher. Old Testament can be a little intimidating, but what a great opportunity to learn sooo much. We had a great G.D. teacher that said that there is more to be learned about everyday life in the Old Testament than most other scripture. in our study this year I have realized that that is true.

Good Luck. Maybe we will come and listen to one of your lessons some time.

Jen Howick said...

that's amazing. a pit in my stomach when i read that. if ever i was to say no to a calling, it would be that one. you'll do fab, i'm sure! good luck. and i'm sure what they say is true - you will learn soooooo much about the scriptures and the doctrine. wow!

Mike Cranney said...

The only thing that will make that calling worse is when ryan get called to the High Council!! lol

Erika said...

Funny Mike! Too late. They snagged him for YM pres. They have quickly put us to work for sure!

Thanks Anita for the kind words of encouragement. And we'd love to have you come visit sometime!

Jen-I get that same pit in my stomach everytime I think about my lesson this Sunday, which is about every 2 minutes! I constantly feel nauseous. Maybe this will help me lose my appetite and not want to eat. That would be a very good thing. Ü

Roger and Stephnie said...

Wow! That is one of the callings that scare me half to death too! I bet you will do a great job though! I wish I could be there to hear you teach!

Emily said...

Ok...I've done that one and I'd love that calling! I'd die as a cub scout leader though...we all have our gifts I guess. My favorite books of scripture are the old testament! You'll learn soooo much! Honestly, good old Hugh Nibley is the best for commentary when it comes to the scriptures, but if you really want to understand the time and place of it all as well as understand the scripture, I would read the thousand years series by Cleon Skousen. It's a historical look back at the time period. I found it extremely helpful in my understanding of the Old testament. And honestly, if you prepare and have the spirit, you'll be fabulous!

The Schofield Family said...

Would you believe me if I told you this ended up being one of my favorite callings EVER! When I received this call I literally sat there thinking I was going to be sick. My husband and the poor member of the bishopric that called me started to get the giggles. I said, "You guys, this is NOT funny." Bro. Karl looked at me and said, "But the look on your face is priceless!" No doubt!! I served in this calling for 2 years almost to the day and I can tell you I've never gained so much from a calling in my entire life. It was definitely the most challenging calling I've ever had, but at the same time by far the most rewarding. LOL...I guess you can say it was the "best of time, it was the worst of times." You will love it! No one felt more incapable of this calling than myself, but as I look back on it, Heavenly Father knew just what I needed. I gained far more from teaching than anyone I taught in that two years. Now I'm adjusted to a brand new calling. Yes....another dreaded one...NURSERY LEADER! One extreme to the other, but I'm learning to love that one as well! Nothing more precious than gaining the love and trust of a child. And here's a fantastic website to help with the lessons. Lots of good ideas and things to pull from. LDSgospeldoctrine.net
You're gonna be great!!!!!

Kim~
P.S....I'm LOVING the pictures of the new house. Can I sneak away with Erin and come visit??? :)

The Schofield Family said...

Another P.S....I never got the armpits under control (let me knof if you figure that one out)and had to add dry cleaning to my budget...but I did discover that I myself was more at ease if I decorated the table a little bit (more like RS I guess..I wanted to give them something to focus on besides ME)and added lots and lots of personal stories. Maybe that's why Heavenly Father saw it wise to give me soooo many life experiences!!! And I loved the series of books "The Old Testament Made Easy". I found them here at Costco. Fantastic books even if you're not GD teacher!

Erika said...

Thank you so much for that Kim! Just what I needed to hear. I keep telling myself I know I can do this, I just hope the class doesn't expect too much from me or compare me to the previous teacher (who has been teaching it for 8 years and FABULOUS). Thanks for the info--I think that's the book I ordered from Deseret Book that should be coming any day now. I need all the help I can get! After studying my lesson last night on Jonah, I think I am starting to see why everyone says this was their favorite calling. I never gave the Old Testament a chance and I can now see how beautiful and poetic it is, how meaningful it is for OUR day. As for the armpit thing, just don't go putting those huge rectangular band-aids on them (idea from Good things Utah)--they will NOT soak up the sweat like they say, it will backfire on you bigtime! And when wearing a solid red dress made of thin, very absorbant material, it is NOT a good thing when standing in front of a class! Lesson learned!

And yes, I love the thought of you and Erin escaping and coming to visit! That could be oodles of fun!!

WheelersFamily said...

I would wear something semi-comfy too. You both have two major callings already. WOW!
You will do great!

Heather said...

That is exciting news Erika! I know you can do it! You have so many on line resourses and Ryan can be your sounding board! Good luck! I want to hear all about it! Did you hear about Holly's new calling? YW Pres.? Ouch!

Afton said...

The most important tool to have for any gospel teacher is the Spirit. The Spirit will testify of truth and will speak to everyone in the way they learn best. He is the perfect teacher. So if you have the Spirit, you can't go wrong.

But there are lots of other helps as well. My husband teaches 15 year old Sunday School and uses the Gospel Doctrine manual. We found this great blog that does a wonderful job with each lesson.

http://gospeldoctrineplus.blogspot.com/

You will do great!

traveldestination said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Papa & Meme's Excellent Adventure said...

Erika,
That was my first calling in the Wilson 1st Ward. I was also scared to death!! But it ended up being one of my favorite callings. I had to make time to study, something I never had to do before.
I can totally see you doing this. You will be great!

Kim & Ken