
I just cleared off the breakfast table and the remains of a half eaten breakfast from four very anxious, excited, and nervous children. As I did so I had to chuckle because I too am feeling the same way. Today is the first day of school where everything is new, and I'm not just talking about the clothes the kids are wearing or the backpacks they are carrying. In new schools. In a new place. With new teachers, lots of them. New bus drivers. New friends to hopefully be made. My stomach is doing flip-flops and will not quit. I can only imagine how the kids are feeling. I got a text from Pierce as he was riding the bus to school this morning saying only four words: "Mom im really nervous". Middle school (6th grade!) is a big step up for Pierce, especially a school so big from what he's used to. At that moment I was so grateful for cell phones and that I could text him back and calm his fears. He's a brave boy and I know he'll do just fine today. Ryan walked the two little ones to their bus stop and I then drove to their school to help them find their classrooms as they got off the bus. They were so nervous, I could see it in their big eyes. I just wanted to cry at that very moment, and it was all I could do to not cry as Christian did and clung to me when I tried leaving his classroom (2nd grade). He had the hardest time of all. He's my baby, and it shows in all he does. It's just that way, a law of nature, and I'm sure you'd all agree with your youngest. My two girls did really well. Gwen is Miss School Girl herself, so excited to be going back to school, to be in 8th grade, excited and loving all her new teachers that we met, excited to make new friends. Gretel didn't say much, never does, but she was brave when I dropped her off to her (3rd grade) classroom. She has a very sweet teacher. Gretel is my tough one and I know her courage will get her through this day. Luckily Gretel and Christian have eachother at their school, and Gwen and Pierce have eachother at their school.
So as I scrambled all morning, getting everybody put together with everything they needed, the butterflies were just swarming in my tummy. As a parent it's hard not to worry and wonder. This is all part of the reason we're here, part of the test. But the blessings haven't stopped coming, no they just keep on flowing like the waters of the salty sea, lapping up on us when we least expect it. Our neighbor across the street, who is also in 8th grade, walked with Gwen and Pierce to their bus stop, and as I walked back in the house from seeing them off, I noticed something. A perfect gardenia, freshly bloomed this morning, just for me. The only gardenia on my three bushes, and the biggest one I've had bloom yet. I instantly plucked it from the branches, pressed it to my nose and smelled it's heavenly scent, and took a big deep sigh. It immediately calmed me and I thought of my mom (I always do with each gardenia that blooms). This one was sent from heaven (or my mom) just for me, a substitution for a hug from my mom. I had found peace in a flower when I so needed it on this chaotic morning. And I know everything will be just fine.
And P.S.-This flower has even more special meaning because today is my mama's birthday and gardenias are HER flower. Love to you on this day Mom!!! I think of you with every whiff I take!

Quick picture so they wouldn't miss the bus!

Another quick picture!

And another quick picture! Sigh!
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









5 comments:
I feel your pain. I did break down and cry after I dropped my wide-eyed Harrison off at middle school. He is so little compared to everyone else. The halls were full of kids that looked so tall and here was my little guy, new school, new town, he knew one boy and only had one class with him. I really questioned whether I chose the right school district at that moment. (we could've sent him to Chris') I thought he could use another couple years in elementary. But, when he got home he was fine. He had found his classes. He said he liked it ok. Thomas was great. REally nice teacher. I just sent Chan to his first day of preschool. Hope he is good. He is pretty wild sometimes. Take care. Loved your post. You are a great writer.
Oh Nikki, isn't life crazy? I hope things go well for Harrison. Middle school is such a jump from elementary, don't you think? It's just so different here--I'd say half the kids are African American or Asian which we didn't have in Utah, and some of those boys are TALL! Can you say intimidating for my little Piercie? He did fine though. He barfed 4 times last night. Thought he was better, sent him to school today so he wouldn't miss his "B" classes, he barfed in a garbage can and I went and picked him up! Fun. Gwen made lots of friends and is as happy as a clam. Gretel and Christian were happy when they got off the bus at home which I was glad to see. They did great getting on the bus this morning with no problems whatsoever. Prayers can change the night to day! How cute that Chandler is in preschool! I miss that boy. Betcha like having the time with Emma! Good to hear from you! Love ya!!
i'm sure your kids were troopers, it is nerveracking and now as a mom, i know that feeling of excitement and nervousness for the kids too. I saw this as I was blog hopping through all of my favorite decorating blogs and thought of you... might be cute for your boys rooms and with as handy as Ryan is, I bet he could pull it off in no time flat!
http://www.remodelaholic.com/2010/08/surfboard-decor-perfect-for-beach-house.html
Thanks Jen-so cute! That surfboard is awesome-it would be perfect in the boys room to hang hoodies or hats on! I love the colors.
Well, wait for my next post to see our firsts. I know I am always nervouse for the kids when they start school. I bet it was really tough for them even the ones who are strong. But in a few weeks, everything will be familiar and they will be happy to go...The gardinia is beautiful and what a wonderful surprise to calm your nerves! We love you ALL and hope you will find peace everyday! Tell the kids hello from the PAssey's!
Post a Comment