
I am feeling overwhelmingly grateful today. There are no words to describe it. Recently, my friend Afton blogged about her "ideal day" and what that would entail. Well, without looking for it or planning for it, I had my "ideal day" yesterday. It was the most simple day ever, and yet throughout the whole entire day I was so grateful for every minute. It started with waking up to the pitter-patter of rain falling outside. Ryan and I then layed in bed as long as we wanted, talking and cuddling, and gazing up at the trees out our window relishing in nature's miracles. The kids were starting to get hungry so Ry got up and made us all french toast. We then caught up on Book of Mormon reading since our stake is challenging us to read it by the end of the year. I whipped up a pot of super easy chicken alphabet soup to let brew while watching conference and popped some frozen rolls into the muffin tin. I am sooooo thankful for the internet and that we were able to hook up the laptop to the TV and watch conference at home. It was so cozy. Then it was break time and still raining, so no family walk as planned, but Ry took the kids out on the tramp to jump and get their wiggles out in the rain while I lounged on the couch some more and studied my upcoming lesson. We then proceeded to watch conference some more. All the kids peacefully fell asleep. I even dozed a little myself (shhh!). And as I listened to our prophet's voice I couldn't help but get emotional just looking at him. I am so grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I'm grateful for leaders who keep me going in the right direction. I'm grateful for the constant reminders of how to be, of what's important. I am grateful for the reminder to keep it simple. So after conference we had a fun dinner spelling out our names and such from our soup, talking as a family about our upcoming week. We tidied up the house together and with time to spare before bed proceeded to watch "Sense and Sensibility" together while sipping on frosty root beer floats.
Can it get any better than that? I'm sure to many of you it can. And yes, there are many fabulous and exciting and expensive places to go and things to see to make an "ideal day" but to me none of that matters. It was heaven just having Ryan home for a WHOLE day! It was heaven loving and snuggling with my kids whom I love more than anything. It's heaven having a comfortable home to call our very own. It is heaven seeing the kids happy with these simple pleasures also. We have had to rely on eachother a lot here in Virginia and I have noticed an increase of love and support in our home that I wouldn't trade for anything. Simplicity is the key here. Simplicity brings peace. Simplicity brings humility. Simplicity makes life yummy just like a bowl of homemade alphabet soup...
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









1 comments:
Thank you for sharing your testimony once again, to me Erika! You asked why I picked you as a councilor in the RS years ago-incase you don't see it-I did-clear back from when Ryan was dating you before his mission and you were sitting on "McFarland Row" in sacrament meeting, with Ryan's arm around you! It is something I have felt when I've been blessed to be around you! It is your faith, integrity, hard work and love-your testimony is radiated by your actions and your beautiful countance and it continues to be one of my many blessings to count you as my friend-thank you Erika, for being you! Love you and miss you, Debbie
Post a Comment