My Friday morning ritual of shopping at Wal-Mart proved to be so fruitful this morning. The drive alone brought tears to my eyes, really. Can our world be any more beautiful? The trees are on fire here in Virginia. It's breathtaking. The ground is covered everywhere you go with a beautiful, bright mosaic of freshly fallen autumn leaves. I love how they drift down, almost as if it's snowing, and then whirl around on the road in between the car tires. We have had a mild autumn thus far that has caused me to open the sunroof and roll down my windows. Never before have I opened my sunroof in November! For some reason this fine weather makes me very nostalgic and reminds me of autumns and Thanksgiving in California growing up, only instead of collecting the gorgeous grape leaves for our Thanksgiving table decor we have been collecting oak and maple leaves from our trees along with acorns. I thought the lack of cold weather and snow on the ground would put a damper on our holidays here, but it is quite the contrary. It is beautiful and the leaves all over our lawn and yard are just calling my name to go rake them up and bask in the fresh air.
Now I'll get to the whole point of this post, which is I found three things this morning at Wally's that put a smile on my face:
1. 'Twas the Night Before Christmas DVD--yes, this is the one from our childhood that they used to play on TV once a year!! I was thrilled beyond belief and did not hesitate for one moment to toss it in my cart.
2. Gingerbread marshmallows! How cute they are--little squishy gingerbread-shaped guys that smell oh so fragrant and yummy! Can't wait to toss some of these in my mouth.
3. Herr's Salt & Vinegar potato chips--yes, these are the same ones they talked about on The Office that that one girl in Jim's office just had to have and they searched all over tarnation for them. They are delish and such a treat! Made in Pennsylvania.
So there you have it. Wal-Mart has put a smile on my face today. Happy Friday once again!
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago










1 comments:
OOOOOO! I love that night before christmas!! Hope you are well. We are doing great. Still working like bees on the house. Children are well and wild.
Post a Comment