The kids didn't have school yesterday so I took the day off work and took them to Jamestown. Jamestown is located about an hour away, in the charming city of Williamsburg. Oh how I love Williamsburg! Another beautiful place added to my list of beautiful places I could see myself living here in Virginia! We didn't even scratch the surface of Williamsburg, but plenty of time to do that later. The drive was beautiful with all the trees changing. I missed a couple exits because I was busy snapping the camera! So we went and had a jolly good time, although it was 50 degrees and felt a tad chilly. I kept telling the kids this is nothing compared to Utah's chill in order to help ease their coldness but it didn't help much. We watched a movie about the founding of Jamestown and learned about Sir Thomas Dale, amongst others. I have a nephew named Thomas Dale, my maiden name is Dale, so this struck me as particularly interesting. He sailed to Jamestown in 1611 in an effort to help the failing colony. He was governor for some time and did help quite a bit. Later he sailed back to England, got a fever, and died. Any relation Dad?







They made beds on top of cargo-how would you like to sleep on barrels?

Gwen pretending to wretch over the side

Learning about ship life


Pierce's favorite part-this man taught us about maps, how the early settlers knew where they were going, and how to be a human sundial.




herb garden


Burning out a log with hot coals to make a canoe

They'd use oyster shells to scrape out the logs, only then the oyster shells were the size of dinner plates!





Arrowheads, of which Pierce is obsessed

Grinding corn


Cornmeal patties

Soup made of pumpkin, green beans, and turkey

Gretel fanning the coals with turkey feathers


Colonial Parkway is a beautiful drive


Came home and took a nap on the sofa bed. Ahhhh!










2 comments:
its gluten free! gotta love it! great pics.
Look at you guys!! You will have to tell me where all that fun stuff is. We really need to get out and visit all our surroundings.
Post a Comment