Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Skipping Town {Day #3}

Photobucket
Sunday: Sunday was Sunday, a day of rest, so we purposely saved Arlington National Cemetary for this day. I think this was our favorite day! I am not good with words. I wish I could come up with better words to describe our trip instead of saying "cool" or "neat" all the time. Arlington is amazing. How can I describe it? It is a place where you will continually have a lump in your throat. A place that you might want to wear sunglasses if you don't want people to see your continually wet eyes. A place where if there was no one else around you would want to just let the tears flow freely. This is a place where all people can commune with God, where you feel closer to him.  It is much larger than I thought. The gravestones go on forever, covering the rolling hills of this beautiful place. It was the most beautiful, clear day, and no wind! The autumn trees were gorgeous. The walk through the cemetary was a quiet one, as we showed reverence and respect to those who have passed on before us. It truly is hallowed ground. We visited JFK and Jackie O's graves and the eternal flame. That was "neat". The cemetary gradually inclines up a hill, until you finally reach the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. There is a beautiful view of DC up there by the tomb. An army guard stands guard of the tomb 24/7. This was the most special place in the cemetary, at least for us.

"The unknown soldiers buried in the Plaza represent the missing and unknown service members for four different wars. Being buried at Arlington gives these families a place to grieve and pray. The soldiers stand watch over their graves in humble reverence, ensuring they rest in peace. These Americans have not only given their lives, but their identities for our freedom and way of life."


We sat on the steps and watched the guard as he walked his 21 steps, waited 21 seconds, did his little thing with his gun, and paced back and forth the whole time, repeating the same thing. The changing of the guard was so neat. It happens on the hour in the winter and on the half hour in the summer. Pierce was engrossed. It was interesting to see this ritual take place as they relieve the one guard who had been on duty and begin the next guard's duty. It was silent and so special as we all stood and witnessed this. As we all walked back down the hill afterwards, no one spoke. Even all the people around us were silent. It had touched us all. It was cute how after some time of walking back down towards the car Christian was still whispering. Others were talking out loud, but the reverence of the event had stayed with him and he whispered to me as he asked questions about the guards and the graves. This was perhaps the most touching event of our weekend. We were going to go to Mt. Vernon on the way home, but after seeing what the traffic was already like at 11:30 in the morning we decided to head home. We ended our trip on a perfect note. I hope the kids never forget what they felt there. I hope they now have a greater appreciation for our country, our forefathers, and our military. We have a couple friends in the Navy who will be deployed soon and my heart goes out to their families. These are great, brave men who are doing a great work.  My heart is bursting with gratitude for all of these things. We are all truly blessed beyond measure to live in the United States of America.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Christian waving hi to all of you
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
  Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
"Here rests in honored glory an American soldier known but to God."
Photobucket
Beautiful view. If you look closely you can see the capitol building
Photobucket
I look like I'm in pain, I know, but I loved this white ampitheater up by the tomb where they hold funerals
Photobucket
This one's better. No furrowed brow here!
Photobucket
Back home sweet home to VB
Photobucket

4 comments:

Afton said...

Lovely. Neat. Amazing. What an experience. I'm going to have to look up the 21 steps, 21 seconds thing. I'm glad they have short shifts. I thought they stayed on much longer than that.

And by the way, I love Vince Guaraldi. I'm going to put his CD in now.

WheelersFamily said...

Loved the changing of the guard. So neat. So jealous. I would love to go back.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
blog n' tell said...

Great Pics!! It's been a long time since I have been to the Arlington National Cemetary...I was in 9th grade when we vacationed there. I got chills reading about your visit. It truly is something everyone should experience...so glad you are getting a chance to share this with your children. They will never forget it!