
Where lots of mirror shots are taken of oneself! So here's another for ya! Gwen had a big day Saturday. Not only was it her 14th birthday, it was also her very first stake dance. It was actually a bi-stake beach party/dance, how fun is that! I wish I could have gone and chaperoned with Ry...it has been ages since I have witnessed a stake dance. Gwen came home that night all giddy and excited. She had danced with 5 guys. Crazy. Those sweet little dimples that once graced chubby little cheeks now grace the face of a young woman, and those same dimples will perhaps one day be what wins the heart of my future son-in-law! Just the thought of that makes my heart hurt. Oh how things are changing.
A couple other things--Ry is back in the swing of things at school, and he got his first contact lenses, which he's not too fond of. And you are now looking at the new Kempsville Ward Organist! Yee haw. Well, it was fun being able to sit as a family in church while it lasted this past year...The kids are already calling dibs on who gets to sit up on the stand with me. We figured we could rotate, one child per week. (In case you were wondering, I still have my gospel doctrine calling)
In other news this weekend, we took the kids to see a movie, but not just any movie. Here in Virginia we do not have easy access to LDS movies in stores or in the theaters for that matter, so when one comes our way we have to take advantage of it. Us east coasters were privileged to get to see a movie before all those out west for once! A charming little theater in downtown Norfolk was playing a movie for one night only called "Joseph Smith-Volume 1, Plates of Gold." And guess what? The actor who played Joseph (the same guy who played him in The Restoration DVD) was there and we got to meet him! I thought this would be fun for the kids, and it totally was. He was very gracious and great to see in person. We had a question and answer session with him after the movie was over, and he bore the most powerful testimony of Joseph Smith that I think I have ever heard. Following the movie we went down the street to Skinny Dip Frozen Yogurt, one of our most favorite places to go. We were all on a spiritual/sugar high on the drive home and found ourselves with the windows down, music turned up, bass cranked as far as it would go, and singing at the top of our lungs to "Staying Alive". What a memorable night!

(And yes, we are still here--the earthquake was definitely felt, but it was a "fun" earthquake in my book. I was sitting at my desk working away when it happened. The kids were in the other room watching a movie and babysitting, so when I came in to tell them we were having an earthquake they thought I was high or something, because they didn't even feel it. Gwen just said that I needed to sit down and eat something, that maybe I was a little lightheaded or dizzy. I finally had to prove to her that there indeed was an earthquake a few minutes later when the news of it popped up on the internet. Good times. Now we just need Hurricane Irene to come to town, then we'd really have some excitement around here! Hurricane party anyone? (Non-alcoholic, of course) Ü
hurricane party: A hurricane party is a social event held by people in the coastal United States who live in hurricane valley between Maine and Texas. The event is held during a hurricane just as any other party would. However the guests are typically allowed to stay with the host for 3–5 days (weather permitting) and guests, in return, bring hurricane supplies such as radios, food, etc. (namely large amounts of alcohol!)
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









1 comments:
Gwen sure is getting to be a beautiful girl! Can't believe she gets to go to stake dances!
Post a Comment