Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sorting through my pictures...

Back to June:
I have found that people here are medal-happy or just award-happy in general, at least with the schools. Not a bad thing. Kind of cool actually because these are high-quality medals and trophies we're talking about here with names engraved on them and everything! And the effect they have on my kids has been wonderful for their self-esteem. Pierce in particular just digs getting any kind of award so this June he got his fair share. For wrestling he got an Academic letter and a pin. For band he got a trophy for "Best Brass" in the 6th grade (trumpet). And then he received two medals at the Sixth Grade Award Ceremony in PE and English, being best male out of his core team in those two subjects, not necessarily grade-wise (although he got A's) but citizenship-wise. So these awards were major confidence boosters for him (he takes after his mama and lacks a little in that area). Gwen also won one medal which was for the Presidential Award, for getting a 4.0 for her whole middle school career. So see? Majorly award happy here! A certificate alone will not suffice...gotta give 'em medals too!

Gwen and Pierce had a little end of school gathering with a few of their friends who also happen to ride their bus, so this is their little bus posse pictured below. They all walked to Gloria's Bakery after the last day of school and picked up some Lumpia (Phillipino egg roll-type thingys) that are all the rage here and brought them back to our house for a picnic in the backyard which I accompanied with fruit, frosted orange cookies, peanut butter cup cookies, and pink lemonade slushies.

I just have to say, I absolutely love the formality and politeness that most of the kids express here. Call me crazy, but I love being called Mrs. Adams! And that goes for Sister Adams too...not much of that going on where we came from in Utah. I love the respect that I'm given here, and I want my kids to give that same respect. Call me old-fashioned, yes, I admit it that I tend to be very old-fashioned and traditional, and I'm proud of it, thank you very much!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket



0 comments: