Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning ♫

I have mixed feelings about driving to early-morning seminary. I am more than thrilled that my daughter is willing to go, but not so thrilled about getting up so early as I love to sleep in. But I will always hold a special place in my heart for this fine church program. After all, that's where my husband and I first laid eyes on each other (ahhh). So I usually like to crawl back in bed after I get back from dropping Gwen and another boy off from our ward, but this morning my mind was racing (that usually happens when I am in the midst of planning a primary activity-Great to Be 8 is Sunday...). Anyway, for some reason our blog popped in my head as I laid there trying to go back to sleep. I ran across our blog binder the other day and thoroughly enjoyed reviewing it. I didn't get much printed--2008 and maybe some of 2009, but it was fun for me and the kids to mull over the "old" pictures and read the silly words I wrote. Sometimes I don't know why I write what I write, but I guess it's better than not doing anything at all. This is one part of our family history and I've been forgetting that.


So here I am...kind of a pathetic specimen these days, but that's another story. I am just trying to keep things to a simmer on the homefront while Ryan finishes up his 16 or so months of medical school (graduation is May 17, 2014, but who's counting!?). The uncertainty that looms over us can be a stressor at times (it also makes me have the munchies big time). It's hard not to talk about it. It consumes our thoughts continually as we plan and research where to apply for residency and as we pray for a place where our kids can find good friends. But really, as I reflect on where we are at, though it has been hard, I am grateful. I remember those trying nights after applying to medical school and the long months of not knowing if we'd even make it. And when it came down to it, I remember pleading with Heavenly Father and telling Him I'd do anything if He would just send us somewhere. I wanted to be an instrument in His hands and wanted to be sent somewhere  where we were needed. I told Him I would serve and do whatever it took. I told Him, and in the fourth watch He gave us an answer. So I feel guilty on those days when I am struggling and take all this for granted. I try to be thankful everyday that we have made it this far. Everyday I am thankful for my kids and the bond we share. It's stronger than ever and I pray it will stay that way through whatever lies ahead for us. I love them. They are stronger than ever. This experience has helped them learn more about themselves. They are always a part of what I do. I love their appreciation for the small things...to have food in the refrigerator, a warm fire to sit by, even new socks--what kid gets excited about those? If the past few years have done nothing else for us, they have brought us to a higher level of gratitude. And I don't have to say how thankful I am for Ryan...he rocks in every way and I couldn't be more proud of him. He is making his way in the medical world exceptionally well and it's exciting for the both of us.

On to pictures now...for posterity's sake (Princess Bride)...

11th b-day, 10/01/12

Gretel requested coconut cream pie because of that one Good Luck Charlie episode.



I guess men can multitask after all Ü



Yorktown, October 2012


16 years of joy

This is what happens when I put Christian in charge of cleaning the bathtub.

Precious moments with Charlotte and Karis at the kiddie table

The feast


DC excursion

Gingerbread night with friends from church

Primary nativity

My very first apron attempt

Gretel loves to bake! Pretzels in this instance.
Christian wanted to bake a "Cake Boss" cake for his 10th b-day...he made their famous sponge cake filled with whipped cream, fresh strawberries & chocolate ganache, dirty iced with buttercream, and covered with homemade fondant. He spent hours on it!

Rolling out the fondant

The theme for the cake was "Minecraft". He molded a minecraft guy out of rice crispy treats, covered it with fondant, and painted it with luster dust. The black stuff is supposed to be dirt (oreo crumbs). The red word on bottom says "Minecraft"

I couldn't resist this picture...our present for him this year was a pottery wheel. He got a little excited, as you can tell.

My baby is 10
  

5 comments:

Anita said...

Great post Erika. You're one tough cookie! Love the pictures of your kids. They are growing soo fast. And by the way, I'm counting with you and hoping that you are "needed" somewhere close to us!!We would love spending more time with your cute family. Love ya.

Unknown said...

Your hair is darling and your kids are cute and hilarious. We are also getting up for early morning seminary. The two high schools in the area each have release time here in Portland, but my son is at an option school which focuses on science and technology, and they don't have release time. So off at 5:45 am it is! However, we only have to go every other day, not 5 days a week like I did growing up in CA. Whew!

I wonder why I write what I write too sometimes, but it's still fun to look back and remember what I was going through and some of the things that happened that I would have otherwise forgotten about.

Unknown said...

Oh darn it! That last comment was from Afton. Obvs my son has been using my computer. ;)

Nikki said...

Love you guys! Love the pictures! Nik

The Tyler's said...

I just love your family so much!! Its so fun to catch up with you guys through your blog. I wish I would update mine.

I got teary watching your Christmas video. That Christian is the MAN!! I'm so jealous he can play the guitar. You all sounded and look fabulous!

xoxo--Jill