
We got to get away this past weekend and drive up to New Jersey for Griffin's baby blessing. Short and sweet it was, but well worth it. The highlight of the weekend was really the day of the blessing. It was such a delight to just chill, go to church, and eat good food together (the best waffles EV-AH!). The more engrossed I get in genealogy, the more I realize the importance of knowing our family and I cherish those family connections we have more and more each day. It was fun just hanging out by the pool, playing in the park, and just catching up on life with each other. We took a short stint into New York City via the Staten Island Ferry and that was great fun. I finally got to see the Statue of Liberty...something I have been wanting to see with my own eyes for a very long time. I recently read about how happy my Grandma and Grandpa Remmele were when they arrived to America from Germany and saw the Statue of Liberty. They met on that week-and-a-half long ship ride over and years later married, and all I could think about as we floated by on the ferry was them floating by on their ship. It was a hot day in NYC and we had some tired and cranky kids, so we didn't see much other than Ground Zero (which was totally awesome), but even if I had just seen the Statue of Liberty that would have been enough for me.
When it was time to make the 6 hour drive back home, we hated to leave. I am thankful for the memories. I am also thankful to have been able to see a little more of the east coast before we "try" to make our way back out west next year for residency. It all depends on which residency program is best for Ryan and where the computer matches him up, so we don't have a ton of say in the matter, but we know wherever we end up it will be just grand! Peace.
 |
| Pizza in the park |
 |
| Arriving on the ferry |
 |
| 9-11 Memorial |
 |
| This is a picture from the internet showing ground zero. This place really made us all reflect and was most definitely hallowed ground. As I heard airplanes flying up above us, I couldn't help but imagine what it sounded like that day... |
 |
| The water flows down further into the basement |
 |
| My 2001 baby...Gretel was born October 1, just shortly after it all went down. It's been 11 years! |
 |
| Patiently waiting for smoothies and souvenir shoppers Ü |
 |
| I couldn't get enough of this guy, and neither could the kids. They've been telling me a lot lately that I need to have another baby...sorry kids! |
 |
| cousins playing together in the girls room |
 |
| Oldest and youngest...I totally had to talk them into taking this picture...they were bickering right before it was taken |
 |
| We love our cousins from Texas! |
 |
| Love that smile. Craig had a massive lint roller that he was rubbing Ryan down with...you can imagine the jokes. |
 |
| Goofing off on the ferry ride back |
 |
| Gretel & Grayson, the two 11-year-old, soon to be 12-year-olds! |
 |
| Watching Madagascar 3 while dinner was getting ready |
 |
| Brothers gotta hug! |
 |
| Grandpa making his famous omelets for Sunday brunch before church |
 |
| All the cousins who could make it out |
 |
| The whole group |
 |
| Why do I always look like I'm in pain? Gotta work on that... |
 |
| siblings |
 |
| the menfolk |
 |
| Hugging Uncle D good-bye |
 |
| parting is such sweet sorrow |
 |
| Bye-bye! |
0 comments:
Post a Comment