Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I Guess I'm a Mama Bird

Did you ever get that "nesting" instinct when you were pregnant, when you just had this uncontrollable urge to clean your house spotless, and tie up all loose ends-finish old projects-like a mother bird preparing her nest? Don't worry, I'm not pregnant! (it sure feels good to say that!) But I am "PMS-ing", that most lovely time of the month when I snap at everybody and anybody, want to strangle my children, and continuously consume chocolate and potato chips on an hourly basis. That's where I'm at. But back to this nesting thing-I am seriously nesting! I think it's because I know Ryan will be home in a few days and I want everything to be clean and nice for him. Or maybe it's just because I need to feel in control, and the act of nesting puts you in control and gives you a sense of accomplishment. Or maybe because I'm tired of seeing the same messes laying around day after day and want some order in this place!!! Yesterday I assisted the kids in cleaning up their rooms so it was done properly. Today I spent a great deal of time cleaning out my closet and drawers, which needed some serious attention! It was so bad I couldn't even find a pair of navy flip-flops that I KNEW I had bought back at the beginning of summer when I stocked up at Old Navy, and sure enough I found them! It was a happy moment! I filled 3 garbage bags full of clothes and shoes for the DI. I even organized my clothes by color in the closet! I know, I don't know what's wrong with me! This is out of control! Next I cleaned the windows and cleaned out the fridge (one of my least fav things to do!). There was one tupperware full of SOMETHING that I found in the back of the fridge and I could see that there was something growing on it which totally grossed me out, so I tossed the whole thing. There was no way I was taking the lid off of that puppy! After that, I cleaned off the top of the fridge and made that look nice and organized again. I then proceeded to wash down the kitchen cupboards.Then I went and hung a mirror in the girls room that has just been propped there since we moved in almost a year ago. Order, I want order!! A few days ago I bought a couple houseplants, new pillows for the couch, new towels and rugs for the bathroom (yes, we only have one bathroom, and it's small-lots of fun!), a new chest to put blankets and pillows in in the living room, and I rearranged the pictures in the living room.

It feels so good to have accomplished all this and to be productive. This feeling doesn't come around very often, so I have to take advantage of it while I can. So tomorrow it's the car. I'm going to clean it inside and out. I'm even going to handwash my purse-it's quilted and is starting to show some dirt. Then I'll tackle the office!

0 comments: