Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Friday, September 19, 2008

I'm a Little Freaked Out

Yesterday after school the kids were home and were doing their usual thing, and I was in the kitchen talking with my mother-in-law, Diane, who had stopped by, when Gwen came in and said "Mom, there's a huge spider on the wall and I think it's a black widow!" I instantly got the willies. So Diane and I went into the living room where the spider was, and sure enough it was a big, round, juicy black widow!!! In the house!!! On the wall right by the boys bedroom!!! So Diane instantly offered to kill it for us (she's great at stuff like that--she squishes big grasshoppers with her bare hands if she finds them in her yard). So I got her a paper towel and our worries were over--for the moment.

I'm a little freaked out now. Last winter, our first winter in this house, I didn't see one spider in the house. I was a little surprised at this, since old houses and spiders seem to come hand-in-hand. But man, this year the spiders are on the loose! I killed a black widow in the stairwell going down to the basement this summer, and then a couple weeks ago I spotted one in the garage hiding out in our stack of food storage boxes. And now to have found one inside the house I'm a little worried. We just got done praying for a girl in our ward who was bitten by a black widow and in the hospital. So what do we do? I guess there's not much we can do. This house is very drafty and definitely not airtight. There are many different cracks and crevices for the spiders to get in if they wanted to, so I'm thinking that we're probably stuck until we move. FUN FUN!

5 comments:

Heather said...

That is freaky!!!!!!!! I would be terrified because spiders of any kind are nasty! I haven't seen a black widow since our days on Westside! We saw a taranchula in a neighbor's yard down the road and there was a snake in the garage a few days ago. I hate creepy, crawly things! Thank goodness for Diane! Can you get the house sprayed?

Anita said...

Oh - I hate spiders, especially poisonous ones!!!! at one house we lived in I killed 4 black widows in one day. AHHHH. Good luck.

Afton said...

We lived in an old house that had wolf spiders and they got to be pretty big, but were not poisonous. also, it seemed like they ate all the sow bugs that were in the house too. But it wasn't even close to a trade off for me. I still was pretty creeped out and they seemed to appear out of nowhere and were just so huge.

I do not envy you with the black widows at all.

Nikki said...

Erika! Yikes! Get your foundation sprayed (Ryan can do it or Grampy) Then there are those non-toxic traps you can buy to put around the house. They attract the spiders and then they get stuck to it! There are hobo spiders in Driggs. We were lucky enough never to see any, but when we lived in the old farm house, I had those traps set out.

Dorri said...

I second what Nik said, have Ryan spray and quickly. In our house in Utah we found some of the creepiest spiders on our stairs going to our basement. Here we find spiders but mostly big ones outside and a few tiny ones in the house. Our problem this year has been the wasps/hornets.
Good Luck!