
I love anything that's a classic. Classic clothes, music, books, cars, movies and MUSICALS! As someone who loves music, musicals are right up my alley. By the time our first child was a toddler, I decided that it was important to expose her to some of these great classics. So we started with the Sound of Music, which is probably my all-time favorite (that's where we got Gretel's name). After that one, we got My Fair Lady. Gwen loved that one!! It was so cute to see her watch it, and she would want to watch it all the time. Then came the Wizard of Oz, Annie, The Fiddler on the Roof (LOVE it!), The King and I, South Pacific, and just recently The Westside Story (on the $5 rack at Walmart). I was so excited to introduce the Westside story to my kids because I just knew they would like it, and sure enough they did! They were glued. It really is quite entertaining with the cheesy dancing and acting, but some of the songs are classics and I wanted my kids to know them and where they came from. Just this morning Gwen was singing "Tonight" at the breakfast table. I love it! I love that they love wholesome entertainment. I almost got emotional as I observed my kids watching the movie. It just makes me happy. These are the movies I grew up with. So on Sundays we have a rule that you can only watch "Sunday movies" like the Living Scriptures or others like that, any church films like Singles Ward, and MUSICALS! This is a great day to watch them together. I think every child needs to have some exposure to these types of movies, and then when they get older and want to be in one of these plays in high school, they'll already know all about them, and they'll get a little taste of how things were in the "olden days" as my kids say. I also love the new musicals that are out there like High School Musical and Camp Rock. These are great, wholesome movies too and we have a lot of fun with them at our house!
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









9 comments:
I love musicals!! That is great that your kids love them too. I have yet to introduce to many for fear of ridicule from the Hubby. He's NOT a fan! But, you've inspired me to overcome my fear and take the heat.
Love musicals. I've tried to introduce my kids to them also and the ones they've seen they like, I just need to do a better job of it. One of my favorites is "7 brides for 7 brothers". Both kids love that movie. We also watch "The Court Jester" with Danny Kaye. And Auntie Mame, but you have to watch the one with Rosiland Russell, not Lucille Ball. My kids also like "The Glass Bottom Boat" with Doris Day (I love Doris Day). I also found the original "Parent Trap" and "Summer Magic" both with Haley Mills, they love those 2. Oh and the "Swiss Family Robinson". I know that most of those aren't musicals, but I love having them watch movies that I grew up watching and loving. Amazon is a great place to look up those kind of movies and then I check out my library's website to see if they have the movie.
My kids are probably old enough to watch the HSM and Camp Rock but I haven't gotten around to letting them watch them, maybe I should.
Yes, I love Doris Day too! Calamity Jane is the best!! We too enjoy the old Parent Trap, Swiss Family (Ryan loves that one), and Summer Magic! We have a lot in common. I love the cheesy songs on Summer Magic like that caterpillar song--I can't think of it right now--but my kids love that one. I need to buy it, we have just borrowed it from my sister in the past. I also want to get Mary Poppins before my kids get too old.
My kids love Mary Poppins. They always complain when I put it on, but within 2 minutes they are giggling and singing along. Though I really like "Nanny McPhee" too. I need to get My Fair Lady, right now Costco has a lot of the classic musicals on sale for around $8 or $9.
Nanny McPhee is great! My kids like the part where the kids are telling her their names, and the one kid says "bosoms"--for some reason that really cracks them up. Emily has been raving over "Thoroughly Modern Millie" with Julie Andrews, so I finally ordered it on ebay for $9. I can't wait! I also like Victor Victoria with Julie, but I can't remember if there's some inappropriate stuff in it for the kids.
Anita-just tell Dennis that if he wants to be cool like Ryan he'll watch them!! j/k I'm not sure how much Ryan really enjoys them, but at least he tolerates them and joins in with us which I'm grateful for. If nothing else, they sure give you a good laugh sometimes...just have fun making fun of them...Westside Story definitely gives you plenty to make fun of!!
What a great idea! I love it...I'm going to copy you. I think I rush to the library right now and rent Oklahoma and West Side Story...
Love Throughly Modern Millie, that is one that me & Kitti watched over and over growing up. My kids think it's pretty funny to. I want to get "The Happiest Millionaire" with Fred McMurray and Leslie Ann Warren, who was also in a very early version of roger & hamersteins "Cinderlla" (great version if you can find it).
I love all this classics movie talk. It gets me so excited. I (also) totally get choked up when Grace loves a movie I loved when I was younger (and still love).
BTW, I love your new picture with you and Ryan. You two are a beautiful couple! Your kids are so lucky.
Post a Comment