Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Monday, December 1, 2008

Busy, Busy!

Wow, what a busy weekend, and I have a feeling this is how it's going to be until the holidays are over. I'm not complaining, I like having lots of things going on to keep me occupied, especially if they have to do with Christmas! This past weekend was packed full of all sorts of stuff like Thanksgiving, of course, with tons of food, lots of laughing, and oodles of chatting with my sisters; Ryan went on his annual trip to the dunes with his bro's and uncles; Twilight with my mom and sisters (for my 3rd time--it keeps getting better!!); a little shopping; getting a Christmas tree and decorating the house, all the while listening to Lee Greenwood and Alabama's Christmas CD's (no, I don't normally listen to country but these are one's we used to listen to while growing up--it's now tradition for me); lots of piano practicing and accompanying for different singers and Christmas "gigs" coming up; lots of reading (Daughter of the Forest was the absolute best-I stayed up until 2:00 Sunday morning to finish it-the end was just about the best I have read of any book!); "the birds and the bees" talk (Ryan's turn this time-ha ha! I told him I'll do the girls and he can do the boys); our fridge going out and our landlords putting in a new one for us on Thanksgiving day; and then last night at FHE (we do it on Sundays) we started a tradition that was a tradition in my own family growing up. We used to do "secret elves" and you draw a name of someone in the family and keep it secret all the way until Christmas morning, all the while doing nice things for them throughout the month or leaving secret notes for them or a little treat, or anything! We had so much fun doing this when I was younger, and with 10 kids, plus my mom and dad, it got pretty interesting and sometimes it was really hard to try to figure out who had you all along! So everyone makes or gives a gift and wraps it under the tree so on Christmas morning you can guess who had you and open your present from that person. We had a blast disguising our handwriting or finding ways to be creative with this, so I'm looking forward to doing this with my own family. We often look for others to do service for around this time of year, but let's not forget service within our own families!

5 comments:

Afton said...

Is this the first year you've done the secret elves with your kids? I think that sounds like a great idea, but wonder if my 4 and 6 year old would be able to participate. I think I'm going to give it a shot. We will decorate the tree tonight for FHE and I think we will also do Secret Elves.

Nikki said...

Chris and I are planning to do that with the kids this year, too! I'll just help with Chandler's, I think! What a great thing to teach children! Chris and I saw Twilight Thanksgiving night! We enjoyed it. Chris said the movie almost made him want to read the books! Can you imagine how long that would take him (remember where he does his best reading!!!!) Missed all of you over Thanksgiving.

Erika said...

Yes Afton, this is our first year to try secret elves. Christian is almost 6 so I thought he'd be old enough to try it. I'm sure your boys will have fun with it. I'm a little worried though that Christian won't be able to keep who he has a secret. We had to draw names 3 times last night before we could finally get him to hush and not give away who he had.

We missed you too, Nikki! I'm so glad you guys liked the movie. Ryan really liked it too. Hope you had fun in Idaho!

Erika said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

What a great idea for the secret elves...and your December sounds just as crazy as mine! Your kids are so adorable by the way. I just can't resist your daughters smile!