Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Sam's Club vs. Costco

Up until now I have always been a Sam's Club member. My membership expired so I thought I'd give Costco a try. So I went, paid the $50 membership fee (yikes), and was pleasantly surprised! I really like Costco! Better than Sam's! At first when I walked in though, I didn't like the atmosphere as much as in Sam's. The lighting was more dim in Costco and something about it just didn't seem as nice. BUT, I totally loved their products more! And they have cuter clothes than at Sam's. I saw a sweater and a jacket that I want. They had some cute pants also. Everything in their bakery looked mouth-watering delicious, but I refrained and only bought the Grandma Sycamore's bread that was on my list. Their produce looked great too. To feed my family's addiction to pomegranates, I bought the 10-pack. I also bought a flat of pears, bananas, and some yummy "cutie" oranges. I love the variety of salad mixes they carry, so I bought a big bag of salad. I was tempted to get the Caesar mix, but maybe next time. I went when it was right before lunch and I was really hungry, so I took a little look over at their premade dinners and lunch items. I splurged on a Shrimp salad with big plump shrimp in it. I shared it with Christian for lunch and boy was it GOOD! I even had enough left for lunch the next day. I also snagged a huge bag of precooked chicken strips. I love having those handy to nuke and toss on a green salad. The item that made me so happy to finally be able to purchase was the butternut squash ravioli! I've been looking for these everywhere with no luck since we don't have a Trader Joe's here. I'm so happy!! They're sitting in my fridge right now and I'll be making them tonight with a cream sauce-can't wait!

So that was all until my next trip. Ryan and I will be going next week to do some Christmas shopping. So have you tried both Sam's and Costco? Which do you prefer? What are some things you've bought at Costco that you really like?

8 comments:

Afton said...

I'm a long time Costco member and have never been to Sam's Club. They don't have one around here otherwise I might have tried it.

I didn't know about the butternut squash ravioli. That sounds delicious. I need to head over there this week to get some strawberries for my fondue bunco party. They are the only place I'd try buying strawberries in december.

I'm always happy with the quality and price of Costco stuff.

Dorri said...

at one time we had memberships to both. When we lived in West Valley Sam's was just down the street in the Jordan's Landing shopping center, and we really liked it. Then we decided to get a membership to Costco (which was way over on state st.) because that is the only place I can get Phillip's socks, which he loves. Then when we moved here we kept both memberships, even though now Costco is just down the street and the only Sam's in Idaho is a 10 min drive down the freeway. (we've since let our membership at sam's expire but may renew it because that's were we bought our tires and they don't charge us to have our studs switched on every winter and off ever spring) But over all I love Costco, they just seem to have everything my family needs. My kids of course love their samples and their hot dogs and pizzas (we had dinner there last night, can't beat $7 for dinner for 3 people). I love to buy my milk there, seeing as my family goes through so much milk. Love to buy cheese there and their bed and bath stuff (sheets, towels, etc) are really great quality.
Oh funny story about sam's, a friend of mine's nephew had over heard her and his mom talking about how Sam's was the "white trash" costco. and the next day when they were walking through Sam's he yells out "watch out white trash coming through"

Anita said...

So glad to see you've been converted. I love Costco. Its like a little get-away every time I go. Its a good day when it's a Costco day.
We had sams at one time. The stuff at costco seems to be better quality. I love the toys at Christmas time and all the decorations.
Happy Shopping.

Erika said...

Moddy-love the white trash thingy!! LOL! I forgot to mention I also bought a a big slab of fresh salmon while at Costco, and I just finished off the leftovers for my lunch. I ate it cold right out of the fridge and it was heavenly! So moist and satisfying, and it tasted so FRESH! It baked up so much nicer than the little cheap pieces I usually get at Walmart (their meat department is pathetic).

Erika said...

Oh Afton--fondue bunco party? Sounds like a blast and a half! I've never attempted making fondue (I guess it would help to have a fondue pot) but I absolutely love it! You must be doing chocolate to go with your strawberries? Have you made a cheesy kind?

Afton said...

I'm doing cheese fondue for dinner with a side salad. Still not sure about all the dipping items for dinner yet. This will the the first time I've ever done fondue. Not sure why I choose to experiment when I have guests...I guess I just like the emotional torture of not being sure how something will turn out. I've been told there is cheese fondue I can purchase in packages at Trader Joes and other places that are all ready to be heated.

For dessert we will do the chocolate fondue. I have purchased and borrowed 6 fondue pots so we will have 3 for dinner (one at each table) and 3 for dessert.

I hope it turns out ok. For the chocolate I think I will just melt good chocolate chips in cream or something like that. I'll have to find instructions, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to mess that one up. I think I'll do strawberries, pineapple, marshmallows and cubed pound cake.

Erika said...

YUM!!!!

Heather said...

Finally Erika! We love Costco! It would be scary to find out how much $ we've given to that store over the years! Our favorites: Dried Mangos, Fruit Leather, ANY produce-they have the best and great prices! (Awesome raspberries this summer and better price than Bear Lake!) We get milk and eggs there, Cheeses, Christmas presents, BOOKS, and now they have Zicam which is SO great for keeping the colds away. Kelly just picked up some fresh garland that is absolutly GORGOUS! And only $14.00. I love it! I put it above the front door on that shelf inside. I love coming down the stairs and seeing it!!!! You should get some!