Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Nostalgia


Remember when cinnamon toothpicks were THE thing? Well, at least in Healdsburg, California in the early 80's they were. I remember when other kids would bring them to school and everyone wanted them. They would make them themselves with cinnamon oil. I remember when one girl, who was older than me, Tara Riley was her name (we went to a really small school where everyone knew everyone and everyone except us were major hippies growing their own marijuana in their backyard), had a bottle of cinnamon oil in her front pocket of her pants and was playing handball and somehow the bottle broke. It leaked all over her leg and burned her. It's funny the things that stick in your mind.

Anyway, I really really wanted to make my own cinnamon toothpicks! So I saved up my money and I remember my mom or maybe one of my older siblings taking me to the drug store in town so I could buy my own bottle of the wicked stuff. It was so fun making the toothpicks. I was completely hooked, and loved to dip them extra long, making them extra potent! Maybe this is how I came to love cinnamon flavored things so much. (My mouth is watering)

So I am craving to go to the health food store and see if I can find some oil. I actually read that dieters and people trying to quit smoking chew on cinnamon toothpicks to help curb their cravings-interesting, I didn't know that. So I really think that if anything will take me back to my childhood, these babies will. What do you remember from your childhood?

(One thing I wish so bad still existed is Wacky Wall Walkers. I remember getting a red one from a friend for my 11th birthday and I can still remember today what it smelled like. Those things were cool! Fond memories.)

4 comments:

Nikki said...

Cinnamon sticks were all the rage in Idaho, too!! I love those things! Kids on the bus used to share them with me! Ah, those long bus rides. You learned so many amazing and useful things... NOT!!!!!

Afton said...

I remember my sister having a little bottle of cinnamon oil and having some kind of burning accident with it.

I remember my first ever deodorant was "Tickle" and it came in that big round roll on container, but the actual product was in a much smaller, hour-glass shaped container on the inside of the big cylinder thing.

My first razor was this round thing, can't remember the name. It was a circle and when you used up one blade, you just turned the dial and there was another one. There were like 5 blades all together.

Finally, I remember thinking the perfume "Love's Baby Soft" was just about the greatest thing ever, and the Christmas I finally got some I made a special place for it in my room and put just a little bit behind my ears every morning.

And in Jr. High, it was Tidal Wave gum. I thought the apple flavor stank like pot and couldn't believe anyone liked it.

Maddie and April Lloyd said...

Erika! Hi! This is April. Yes, cinnamon toothpicks. Mmmm! I have been feeling nostalgic for Healdsburg lately. (Not everything about it. Cinnamon toothpick kinds of things!) I remember having bubble gum lip gloss in the metal slider tins. Did you ever have those? So how are you? I'm so glad you found my blog. It's not too updated. I am working on setting up a new one and I'll email you the new link when I'm done. You have such a cute family! I love your blog! I am excited to be able to catch up with you.

Erika said...

Love ya April!!