Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

And They Lived Happily EVER AFTER...


What is your favorite fairytale? I just realized, through an advertisement on a Walt Disney DVD that Chrissy just put in, that I do have an all-time favorite fairytale. Now some fairytales are really odd and disturbing like "Hansel and Gretel" (although my Gretel really likes it). But there are also the most beautiful, romantic ones like Cinderella. My top 3 have always been The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Cinderella, but I think my #1 is Cinderella. I love how the prince seeks her out in the end. I love the whole slipper thing. I love how she was a "nobody" and he chose her over all the rest. I love how she overcame her step-mother and sisters and that no matter how badly they treated her she treated them kindly and did as they asked. I love how she never complained. She totally deserved what she got in the end.

There are so many different versions of this fairytale and different movies that have been made. One of my very favorite movies ever happens to be "Ever After" a Cinderella story with Drew Barrymore and Dougray Scott. LOVE IT! I'm a hopeless romantic and this movie hits the spot. I love how they portray the story and really bring it to life. Wonderful movie. My next favorite Cinderella movie is "Cinderella Story" with Hillary Duff and Chad Michael Murray. OK, now don't gag, it's really a GOOD movie! It's more of a modern-day Cinderella that my kids can really relate to. It's about being the "nobody" at school who totally wins in the end. I love watching this movie and have seen it DOZENS of times (the music is really good too). There is also "The Slipper and the Rose" with Richard Chamberlain. I have this DVD but haven't watched it forever. And did you know that Julie Andrews was in a movie called "Cinderella"? I didn't know that until now. I'm curious if its any good. I'm sure there are other ones out there--oh! How can I forget Fairytale Theater Cinderella! We used to always watch Fairytale Theater when I was little and a couple years ago I bought the whole set on DVD and my kids love it. Even though it's a little cheesy, I love watching the Cinderella they do. This one stars Jennifer Beals and Matthew Broderick. Anyway, good stuff, and I love that all of this is good family entertainment. I especially like how some of these show you that life isn't always a bunch of roses but if you stay sweet, do what's asked of you, and endure it well, good things will come to you.






2 comments:

Jen Howick said...

that is my most favorite version of the Cinderella movie as well. I just watched it a couple of weeks ago, actually!

Nikki said...

I love Ever After, too! I am also very partial to Robin Hood. My favorite is the Disney cartoon, but love the one with Kevin Costner, too. Who doesn't love being saved by your prince charming??!!