Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

This Will Take You Back

I don't know why I've been so nostalgic lately, but I was thinking about Sesame Street this morning and how my kids don't see it anymore because it's on when they're at school. I was kind of saddened by that, just a little. I was raised on Sesame Street, along with Electric Company, The Polka Dot Door, Captain Kangaroo, Mr. Rogers, and many other PBS shows. I used to be glued to these shows. I remember watching Mr. Rogers and listening to his hypnotic, slow voice, and as he stared into the camera I thought, "Wow, he's looking right at me! He's really talking to ME!" I then walked around our family room to try to avoid his gaze and get him to stop looking at me but his eyes followed me everywhere I went. It was a little freaky, actually, but oh how I loved all those shows. Well, now Mr. Rogers is dead and Sesame Street isn't what it used to be. Kind of sad. But do you remember the Sesame Street episode where they show how they make orange crayons? I found it and watched it and couldn't believe how much it took me back to my childhood. I don't know how many times I watched this as a child, but I always found it fascinating. Same as when I'd watch Mr. Rogers and he'd do Picture Picture and show how certain things are made. So here it is for your viewing entertainment and maybe you'll be fascinated too.

6 comments:

Afton said...

Oh yeah! My kids are watching Sesame Street right now and it is definitely not what it used to be.

As for Mr. Rogers, I'm right there with you on the feeling that he was talking to me. When he said, "you're special just the way you are," I knew he was telling that just to me.

Also, I thought my dad was Mr. Rogers because at the end of the show it would pan back from his house and you'd see the town and the streets and the cars. I'd always try and spot my dad's car driving home and say, "I see his car, he's coming home." Shortly after that my dad would walk in the house, home from working as Mr. Rogers.

My favorite Sesame Street moment, along with any time they showed how to make things, was the one where two little girls play with a doll house and have two of everything, and then the cats come and mess everything up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWrUykkc-bs

Erika said...

Oh my word Afton!! I haven't seen that forever. I laughed the whole time watching it. The music is so cheesy, but then again I think ALL the music on Sesame Street was pretty cheesy. I think that's what made it so good.

Heather said...

I think Mr. Rogers was really smart. Think of all the times your kids have asked "how is ___ made? That was a favorite part! But I also liked when he changed his coat to his cardigan sweater or zip up sweater and changed his shoes! Sometimes I feel like Mr. Rogers when I change after coming home from something and put on my slippers and a sweater!

Anita said...

I love the orange crayon thing. It is the only thing I remember from Sesame Street. I fun to watch it again.

Anita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tanya said...

This makes me sad...I really miss watching those shows when my boys were little! I'd love to go back in time.