Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Everybody's Different

Everybody's different! I am always saying this when someone does something or says something that we may not agree with. Everybody's different but we need to love them nonetheless. As of late, we've had a lot of questions and conversations come up about kids who are different from us and about people who have different lifestyles than the one we are accustomed to. We live in our little bubble, but I'm trying to prepare my kids for the time when we don't. We live in a place where the majority is LDS, but I am frequently reminding them that we may soon end up living in a place where we are the minority. I have been trying to recollect my childhood and how things were growing up as the only LDS person in my class. I'm thankful for how it has taught me to love others who are different from me. I've had a view of all different lifestyles and home life. I've been faced with standing up for my beliefs and being made fun of by friends who thought I was a "prude" (and it was only in 5th grade!). But I want to teach my kids that we need to love others no matter who they are or where they come from. And I think sometimes they look down at kids who are not LDS and I do not want them to have that kind of attitude or think that they are better than someone else because they don't go to church. What are we told over and over again? To love one another! Heavenly Father loves ALL of his children unconditionally no matter what they do, so shouldn't we try to love everyone the same?

As an adult that's a hard one sometimes. We may not always agree with how people may go about doing things. People can be frustrating. Sometimes people can be offensive and insensitive. Sometimes people can just be outright rude or mean. But something I'm trying to work on is to not let these things get me down. Just smile and move on. Be happy, cheerful, and focus on the joys of life, because there are plenty of them for sure. Do what Jesus would do. That is a simple statement taught to our primary kids but I need the lesson just the same. I often think of the scripture about loving our enemies and praying for those who despitefully use us. Not an easy thing, but something I strive to do. Life is a learning experience and I am constantly learning how to be a better person. I'm so thankful to have Christ's example on how to "be." Sometimes it's not easy to try to be like Him, but it sure feels good the times that I can. It makes me happy and makes me feel better about myself.

I know I can be a better example to my children on how to "be". I can be less critical, less judgmental, and more loving and tolerant. I want my kids to grow up being kind, gentle, and compassionate. I want them to have a strong foundation for when the winds begin to blow harder as they get older. I believe in them and sense the strong individuals that they are, and I don't want to hinder them or pull them down with any negative or judgmental comments. What a great responsibility it is being a parent!

2 comments:

Afton said...

I have learned so much from my friends and neighbors who are not of my faith. I truly believe that we have more in common that we have differences. Some of them are so "Christian" in all they do, it makes me want to be a better person.

I understand though that as my kids get older, the differences between kids they go to church with and kids they go to school with might be a little more stark. I honestly believe, though, that you find what you are looking for. If you are looking to be with people of faith who have high standards, you will. If you are looking to find people to party with, you'll find that too. (Even at BYU!)

I think you are right...love is the key. It's so much easier to forgive offenses when we love someone. As I find myself trying to shove this counsel on my kids, I realize I need to look at my own actions and try and put that into practice in my life. Instead of judging or criticizing, I need to stop taking things personally and focus on people's strengths.

Good to remember!

miss kitti said...

You're such a good mom to be thinking of this. I absolutely agree that it comes down to love.