Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Monday, June 29, 2009

Not only do I want these, I need these!

I've talked quite a bit about food storage before, and I'm going to talk some more! I get great pleasure adding to my food storage each month so much that it's almost an addiction. I absolutely love going to the dry pack cannery with our ward as often as I can (we go each month). It's so much fun and very rewarding. Oh! And I just found out that kids can come help too!! This is great because Gwen asked me the last time I went if she could come too. They say 8 years or older can help, just not around the machinery. You have to be at least 16 to use the sealer. So I'm totally stoked that next month I get to bring Gwen with me! Anyway, the summertime is a great time for me to stock up. I feel like I have the nesting instinct thing going on or something. I just want to make sure we have everything we need. Something I've been wanting for a while now are these lovely can racks from Shelf Reliance. They are also sold at Walmart and Costco here. They're a little expensive (about $300) but I think they are totally awesome (dude). I'm thinking one might quite not be enough for the variety of cans I have. Two would be perfect. Someday.

I also found pictures of this cool water barrel rack online (these are 55 gallon drums). Ryan could make one easily. So could all your husbands I'm sure. The only thing is finding a place to put it. We currently don't have anywhere but maybe when we move we'll have a garage or somewhere else to put it (hopefully!). We only have two barrels right now but we're looking into getting more. I know Macey's sells them. They also have a great selection of emergency items and foods.

There's a reason we've been asked to have food storage. I know when I was in high school my dad was in a car accident and not able to work for quite some time. We lived off our food storage during that time. What a blessing. You never know what might come your way so be prepared.

2 comments:

Afton said...

I love the can roller. A friend of mine has 2. I have can roller envy. As for the water barrel storage...that's amazing. Those things must be massively strong. I love it though. Ours are on the side of our house right now and the water is in need of serious rotation. I think it's been 2 years since we changed it.

Erika said...

I was just at Macey's and the guy there told me that the water barrels will go on sale sometime in July or August, around the time they do their case-lot sale. Good to know!