Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Monday, July 27, 2009

Say Cheese!


There are bonuses to having your husband come home each day smelling like cow manure. This is one of them. Cheese. Lots of cheese. We have cheese coming out of our ears. But it's great when you consider that this was free-ninety-free compared to almost $3 a pound at the store. I'll take free any day. This "log" of cheese was a gift from one of the Dairy Farmers of America reps. It easily weighs 20 pounds, if not more. I found out you can freeze cheese without ruining the integrity of it. All you have to do is once it's frozen, take it out to thaw at ROOM TEMPERATURE to let all the oils redistribute themselves. So, I cut up the log into 7 wheels of cheese. Six went in the freezer, wrapped well and then put in freezer bags, one in the fridge of which we are currently working on. Thinking of it now I should have used my Food Saver, but I tend to forget about that little machine. Anyway, I'm anxious to see if the thawing out method will work.

The hubby just left for another day at the farm, his little appendage Christian by his side. They'll come home tonight covered in dirt smelling like tractor grease and fresh cow poop but I love it because they love it. And the bonuses we reap from this job aren't too shabby. Tonight it's a free steak dinner. Not bad at all.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Yeah, I want some of that steak!!!! That is quite the cheese chunk. Leslie would drool just looking at it! She's probably dreamed about something like that! haha!!!

Erika said...

The good thing about this steak dinner is I don't have to cook it!! It's an appreciation dinner for a bunch of farmers in the area. Yee-haw. I'm just glad I get a date with Ry.

Roger and Stephnie said...

Wow! That is some monstrous cheese! How nice! That is good to know that you can freeze cheese, I had no idea. You always have good tips!

Afton said...

I had problems freezing cheese but now that I think of it, I probably didn't let it come up to room temp. Anyway, I had an abundance of cheese several years back and ended up shredding it, freezing it on trays, then packaging in zip top bags for later use. It was great.