Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Monday, August 31, 2009

Purely Delightful

PhotobucketThere are two words to describe how it felt to take Gwen to the temple on Friday: Purely Delightful! The second Gwen turned 12 she wanted to go get an interview for a temple recommend to participate in doing baptisms. The neat thing is that Ryan was the one who interviewed her. She is so excited to have her own recommend! We took advantage of this and Ryan and I both took her to the temple. Words can't describe the special time we had there. Ryan performed the baptisms and confirmations and I watched (I couldn't do baptisms because I didn't have any family names and they reserve their names for the youth). It was a joy helping Gwen get changed and assisting her. When we were all finished she said, "that was fun!" I'm so glad she enjoyed it, and I know she's anxious to go back. She's also anxious for other things to come which makes us so happy. I'm so thankful for the excellent example she is for her younger siblings. It's times like these that make life so meaningful and joyous, and I know that memories like these will help us get through the rough times. We've reached another milestone and before we know it she'll be in the temple getting married.

After the temple we of course stopped at Farr's Ice Cream, per Gwen's request. She can't get enough of that place and we only reserve it for special occasions. This night definitely qualified for that! Oh, one more thing. Apparently Ryan looks young enough to be Gwen's brother and I'm his Argentine woman who he fell in love with while on his mission. Long story. Those temple workers are so cute. Ryan doesn't look that young, does he?
PhotobucketPhotobucket

4 comments:

Nikki said...

Oh, Erika! I got teary looking at how beautiful and faithful Gwen is becoming! What a sacred occasion! When we took the children to the Rexburg temple open house, and walked into the Celestial room, I had a little glimpse of the heaven that awaits us as we take our children back as they get older. We'll pray for more of these precious times with our little ones.
PS--Her dress is gorgeous. Perfectly beautiful and perfectly modest.

Roger and Stephnie said...

Gwen is such a great girl, you have so much to be proud of in her. What a neat experience for her!

Anita said...

What a great experience for you guys. Gwen is a great example to all the grand kids!

Heather said...

I didn't even think about the fact that Gwen can go to the temple now!!!! SO special to see these pictures and imagine how wonderful that night was for all of you!!!!