
All the papers have been filled out and signed; all the backpacks stuffed with disinfectant wipes, school supplies, tissues and paper towels; the new school year has officially begun! I am now sitting here in an empty, quiet house, taking deep breaths and soaking it all in. I love my kids more than anything else in this world, but let's be honest here--we need this time apart! They were all excited to go back to school. Not only have I been yearning to have a schedule again, but I think the kids have been also. We now have 7th, 5th, 2nd, and 1st graders in our home. We were all so excited to see Gwen off at the bus stop this morning for her first day of junior high. I can't wait to hear how it all went. And Pierce is now the protector and helper to Gretel and Christian and fully accepts that role and thrives on it. Oh, and I can't forget my Ry-Ry who also started back at Weber State today. His load is not as heavy as it was last semester, but he does have plenty to keep him busy. He's president of the AED club (pre-med student club) and I know he'll do a fantastic job. So far we've heard back from 14 schools asking for a secondary application, so he's busy working on those also. Life is good.
For years I have been yearning for the moment in time when all my children would be in school all day long. As a young 27-year-old mother with 4 children under the age of 5, and with a husband who was rarely home and working 14+ hours a day, it's no wonder I looked to this very moment. There's a time and season for everything and now I can enjoy this time that is mine. I can now have a little more time to take care of myself and my personal, physical, and spiritual needs. I can go out and garden in peace, do my chores in peace, and get my transcription work done with less interruptions and distractions. I can focus and not be so scatter-brained because I won't have 4 voices coming at me from all angles all day long. Really, it's that peace that will be the greatest therapy of all I think! I really feel that this is soooo healthy for mom's AND kids to have this little separation during the day. To have a little time apart from one another, to give both sides a break. This is a time for us mothers to fulfull those things that we've been wanting to do for so long but couldn't with kids. This is a time for us to do those things that make us happy. After all, I think we've darn well earned it and very well deserve it. This can be a time of learning and education. This can be a time of fulfillment for all of us until the next phase...TEENAGERS!!!! (Is this the calm before the storm???)


Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









7 comments:
I AM SO JEALOUS!!
I took my two to school this AM. Chan and I got into the car, and what did I hear??--"When will Harrison and Thomas be home??"!!!! Oh help!
It is so quiet with only one home! I feel better already. Only a month and I'll be back to 2 at home! My season will come, too, though I will be very old. Ha ha ha.
Oh Nikki! I hope Chandler is good at entertaining himself for your sake! Yes, your season will come and you WILL NOT be old! I feel almost like life is just beginning--I love the thirties! And I'm almost positive that once the 40's hit I'm going to love them even more!
Wow! Congratulations! What are you going to do with all that extra time you have? I seriously feel like I will never see the day when I am home all alone!
Thanks for saying this in a way that makes sense...that doesn't make me feel guilty for wanting my kids outta here!!!
Was one of the secondary application places OHSU??
We haven't heard from OHSU yet but we've heard they're a little slow. So far we've had 2 rejections, so Seattle and Iowa City are out! The only others besides OHSU we haven't heard from yet are the U, Wake Forest, and Eastern Virginia. It's kinda fun to be able to slowly narrow it down!
Okay, just in: scratch Wake Forest. Bummer. North Carolina is still in the game though with Duke.
Post a Comment