Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Thursday, August 27, 2009

What I Found This Morning...

Okay, this one's for you Afton. I was reminded of your "How to be a boy" posts when I came across this. I walked into the boys' bedroom this morning and what did I see?
Photobucket
Don't they know where the garbage can is? They have their very own and it's only 5 feet away from the scene of the crime. What's the deal? Lately my kids, not just my boys, have apparently forgotten how to use a garbage can and what it's for. I find wrappers all over the place. And when they are done having a snack after school, what do I see in the kitchen? Garbage all over the table and countertop! Over and over again this happens. I'm getting a little annoyed. And the kids can tell. I have finally raised my voice on the issue. We'll see later today if they were listening. I do have to look on the bright side of things though. This "Nutella" incident did give us all a really good laugh, because it was Christian's doing, and we all know how he loves his food. I'm afraid Nutella isn't the healthiest snack though. Also, this reminds me of the well-known, well-emailed poem about being thankful for the not-so-good things in life because it means that we are still blessed. So, I am thankful for all the garbage my kids leave around the house because it means that I am a mother, I have a home, and I have four little people who love and look up to me...all the greatest blessings.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

That is a huge issue at our house, too! How about the laundry basket???? My biggest culprit of that is Chris! How is it that the lid works for me, but not for him. It's on TOP of the basket not in, or RIGHT next to, but not in. Has the world gone mad?? Most days I just chuckle and shake my head. Or sometimes a little snide comment. Isn't life good?! I like your blessed idea. That takes the edge off a lot of things if you think about it like that, huh.

Emily said...

I just cleaned out the freezer and found at least 50 empty otter pop wrappers in the bottom. Cleaning out the pantry, I found 2 jars of peanut butter with spoons still in them and missing lids. They aren't keeping them in their rooms anymore....I guess I should be greatful.

Afton said...

My boys are so lazy. Don't know if you remember the water bottles I bought for them to refill so they could have cold water? They won't re-fill them for anything, it seems. But they will put them back into the fridge empty. Then they complain when they are empty, or if they don't complain, it's because they are sneaking cold water from their brothers' bottles. Finally, all three are empty and now it's my cold water bottle they are drinking from. Why can't I get these kids to accept a little responsibility? It's not like I'm asking them to plow a field or for heaven's sake, fold their laundry. Filling up a water bottle is supposed to be a no brainer!

Roger and Stephnie said...

I love how you ended that post, that you are thankful to have cute boys and a nice home to get messed up. I need to look at things that way a little more often. Thanks for the reminder.