Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Thursday, September 24, 2009

KEEP CALM and CARRY ON

Photobucket
I am in love with this new addition to our kitchen wall. I often need this nice little reminder...quite often actually. I enjoy putting not only nice things to look at in our home, but items that mean something. This is a replica of old propaganda posters that were to be distributed by the British government in 1939 to calm everyone down about a looming war with Germany; hence, the crown meaning that this soothing message came from the king, King George VI. Well it turns out that they printed 2 million copies of these posters intended to be used during times of crisis, but none (except for a few that were on the government's ministry office walls) were ever officially issued and remained unseen by the public. But then a copy turned up more than 50 years later in a box of dusty old books bought in an auction.

Kind of a cool little story. I bought this poster online from a guy in Beaverton, Oregon. You can get them in all different colors. The original is longer but I had to crop it to fit in my frame. I couldn't find a frame that it would fit in (it's an odd size), but later read on his website that IKEA has one perfect for it. Oh well. Too late now. Click here if you want one for yourself!

4 comments:

Anita said...

I love this!! I found it a while ago on a blog or something and have been wanting one. It is a good reminder.

Heather said...

Very cool!

Afton said...

want it!

Dorri said...

I love it, I just may have to order me one too. thanks