Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Monday, December 7, 2009

"A Christmas Story" Flashback

It's cold. No, it's freezing. It's 16 degrees at the present moment. I felt bad sending my kids out in the howling wind to the bus stop this morning. While getting Christian bundled up I had a "Christmas Story" flashback. He was whining as I was struggling to put his coat hood on over his beanie. It was a little tight, and as I stood there I felt like the mom on Christmas Story, in my nightgown, wild hair all about me, and the tone of my voice even resembled that of the mom. I had to chuckle to myself. I can't say that I bundled up Christian enough to look like "a fat tick ready to pop", but I think he was definitely warm enough to brave the freezing cold. Luckily the bus didn't take long to arrive. I sat and watched the kids run across the road and hop on the bus from the window as I sat on the cozy couch nice and toasty. I felt a little bad. But really, I've had my fair share of freezing cold. It wasn't this cold growing up in Northern California, but our house was very old and in the winter it got pretty darn cold because it had no insulation or heating system. I remember waking up in the morning and seeing my breath in front of me. We'd always bundle up before going to bed--multiple pairs of socks on, sweatshirts, lots of blankets and quilts. I also remember getting ready for school and doing my permed hair in my bedroom (we only had 1 bathroom for 10 kids so I had to get ready in my room) and grabbing the mousse can so I could apply some liberally only to find out that my mousse was frozen. Yes frozen. I couldn't get a drop out. The only heat in the house was the woodstove in the kitchen and that heated the family room also. Other than that we had 2 fireplaces-one in the formal living and one in the formal dining but we only used those on Sunday's when we had family or the missionaries over and on holidays. So I know what it's like to be cold. I like that I had to rough it a little growing up. It has tought me a lot. So I like to see my kids rough it a little. I hope it will teach them a lot as the years go by.

Giclee on canvas of our old house by my sister Laurel--one of my favorite Christmas gifts ever
Photobucket

4 comments:

Emily said...

I am sittIng in a freezing cold house, 45 degrees, and living that right now. But it's in the teens here and my kids are ok. I love your house! It's like a dream house!! I really hope my kids learn to appreciate heat and hot water after this...

Erika said...

I can relate...we turn the furnace off at night and when I got up this morning at 6:30 it was 55 in the house! It was freezing. I guess I'll just keep it real low at night this week since it's supposed to be cold.

Just a bed of roses said...

This is such a Northern California house...you have got to tell me what town it is in.
I lived in Northern California too by Ferndale and Eureka in a town called Petrolia where my dad was the teacher and principal when I was under 5 years old.

What a fun fun story to tell, I loved reading it, very funny and this home is just a treasure.
Brrrrrr...it really is seriously freezing cold isnt it!

Erika said...

We lived in Healdsburg out on Westside Road about 5 miles out of town out in the middle of vineyards. It really was the perfect spot to raise 10 children. So beautiful. If you know of the Hop Kiln Winery we lived real close to that. It's fun to occasionally go back and visit. We'll usually go rent a beach house in Bodega Bay with all my family. I didn't realize you lived in Nor Cal Brenda!