Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Monday, December 14, 2009

Homemade Gift Idea #4

Photobucket
This weekend we tackled all the neighbor/friend goodies. I thought I was taking an easier route this year than last, which really it was a little, but not as easy as I was anticipating. Oh well. I'll learn one of these years. This year I chose to do Chex mix (the traditional one) and Peppermint bark. I have discovered in recent years that peppermint bark is just about my favorite Christmas candy. I love the stuff. My family loves the stuff. We just can't get enough. I even tripled the recipe, making 3 jelly roll-size pans of it, and it still wasn't enough. I really don't know of anyone who doesn't like chocolate and peppermint so I thought it was the perfect gift. I found these cute little Martha Stewart goodie boxes at Michael's during their 50% off Thanksgiving sale. They are the perfect size for bark. I tried chiseling the bark into healthy-sized squares, and each box has about 5 layers. And I love how the boxes come with little squares of red tissue-type paper to put in between layers. The kit also came with some cute round labels saying "To" and "From" which I affixed on the back of the boxes. I also found some other red and white Martha Stewart goodie containers that were cute and went along with my red and white candycane theme. All in all, the bark was a great success (this was my first time making it) and thanks to Utah's chilly weather, my back porch served as the perfect "setting up" spot for my chocolate since I had zero fridge space. You can visit my recipe blog here for the yummy recipe!!
Photobucket Photobucket

6 comments:

Just a bed of roses said...

Love how pretty your peppermint bark looks. I carry it in the shop, made by Kara. every now and then I break open a box and treat myself. very good, understand the addiction to it.
great gifts!

Braden said...

your chex mix was so yummy :) thank you

Heather said...

I bought the same boxes!!!! How funny! But I haven't made the bark yet. I made mini bundt cakes with mom's wine cake recipe calling them "eggnog" cakes! They are cute and yummy with a white frosting on top! I am now readying myself for macaroons!

Jen Howick said...

wow, I wish we were your neighbors! ;) YUM!

Maddie and April Lloyd said...

I wish I was your neighbor! Yummy!

Dixon's said...

I love peppermint bark, can't wait to try this recipe. I was also wondering if I could get your banana bread recipe (the one that taste even better the next day)? I think you posted it on your blog over a year ago, but I couldn't find it when I looked back. I made another recipe today and I liked your recipe so much better. I just don't know where I put the recipe! My email address is christina101@gmail.com

Thanks