Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Trust

It wasn't until I was 19 years old that I learned how to trust in the Lord. Ryan taught me this while serving his mission in Argentina. Before that time I had never even really thought about it. We both grew so much those 2 years. Since then, my whole life has revolved around that trust and right along with that-faith and hope. I'm thankful today for comforting scriptures from prophets and apostles who experienced a lot harder times than I have. I'm thankful for their unshakable testimonies when the waters got rough and when they really had no idea what was to happen next or where the Lord was sending them. Even when their life was on the line they stayed firm and unmovable. They had faith that they would be directed to where the Lord wanted them to go. It seems like the road is never short, but wouldn't that just be a waste of time if it were? What would we gain? For the last several months there is one scripture that has been repeated in my mind over and over again:

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. ~Proverbs 3:5

There are so many other good scriptures on trust--here are just a few that I love:

Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.
~Isaiah 12:2

Trust ye in the Lord for ever: for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength:
~Isaiah 26:4

O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh. Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm.
~2 Nephi 4:34

Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid; for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also has become my salvation.
~2 Nephi 22:2

But mine eyes are unto thee, O God the Lord: in thee is my trust; leave not my soul destitute.
~ Psalms 141:8

The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
~Psalms 28:7

Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in Him; and he shall bring it to pass.
~Psalms 37:5

Watch out Virginia--here we come.

5 comments:

Nikki said...

VIRGINIA?? What? I need details!!!

Beautiful scripture. Very inspiring! Isn't it amazing how scriptures hit you when you need them. What a miracle and a blessing.

are reading the BOM with the boys in the morning. It is awesome to talk with them about spiritual things every morning. I love the things that have come up in our conversations. Things I hadn't even thought about discussing with them. We only read 2 pages, but we have learned something every day to share with them I really wish I could see into their minds and hearts to see what they are comprehending and what they think about what we've talked about. I don't get much feed back from these boys. Very rare glimpses that are so precious when they come.

Jen Howick said...

Virginia? Did I miss a post? Or is that your announcement? Great blog post... I love your blog. You always post such inspirational things. Stuff that I need to hear and things to think about. I'm glad we're blogging buddies! ;)

Roger and Stephnie said...

Wow! Virginia, huh? We will definitely miss having your family as part of the ward! You are all great examples to us and so many others. I think your post definitely shows it!

Evan said...

Ryan and Erika are going to VA for an interview. They still don't know where they are going for sure.

Just a bed of roses said...

What a beautiful post on Trust and the scriptures Erica...best wishes and I know it will all work out.