Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Thursday, March 18, 2010

The 80s

Photobucket
(1989-9th grade Healdsburg High)

The 80s are coming back to haunt me everywhere I turn. This has been happening for some time now between the clothes I see at the store and with Gwen being in junior high. I had to gag when I saw some of the wretched clothes on Gap's website (below). Can you say ugly? Am I back in the 80s or what? And then some of the jeans at J.Crew really brought me back as I was reminded of all the guys in Jr. High and their tightly-pegged jeans. I don't care how good they look on a model, I say no thank you! I was just talking to my little sister the other day as we were shopping at the DI about how far fashion has come. As we glanced at all the high-waisted pants, short shirts that don't come anywhere near your hips, and just plain ugly, unflattering clothes made us grateful for those clothes designers we have now out there who have finally gotten it right.

But this isn't just about fashion. A while back I took the kids to the skating rink for one of their birthdays. It was on a Friday night and I couldn't believe how much it took me back to "Star Skate". The clothes the junior high kids were wearing, the way they'd hold hands skating, young puppy love--everything was the same, even the hokey pokey. Deja vu. Gwen very often shares with me the things that are going on at her school, and I find it interesting that those same exact things were going on at my junior high in California in the late 80s. Luckily, and very gratefully though, they are not nearly as bad as they were in California. Kids, or at least all the ones Gwen knows, aren't doing drugs, smoking, drinking, and getting pregnant like the ones I knew in 7th grade. But they seem to behave the same way, say the same things (Gwen has informed me that her and her cousins are bringing back the word "fine" when referring to a guy instead of hot which I think is "totally rad"), and yes, we even still have the ones who cut themselves, or "carve", and give themselves eraser burns. We didn't have a name for those kind of people, but here and now they are apparently referred to as being "Emo", whatever that means. Do you ever find yourself saying things from the 80s? I have found myself tempted to say "Face!" a couple times to Ryan to be silly. For some very odd reason, I can still remember Dominic Urimini yelling that to someone as we'd all be playing dodge ball or bombardment for P.E. in 5th or 6th grade, as he'd put his hand in front of his face. We'd even say "Facial scrub!" sometimes too. How silly, yet I miss those innocent days in elementary school.

But man, just thinking back on my junior high years (1987-89), I sure am glad that's over and would never want to do that again, EVER. And high school wasn't any better in the early 90s. Good riddance I say.

PS-If there's one song that reminds me of junior high, it is the one playing--"True Blue" by Madonna. I once did a lip sync to it in Frog Hall. Yikes.
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
(Okay, so this outfit is actually cute, but I still cannot picture Ryan wearing pants rolled up like this unless we're walking on a beach somewhere barefoot)
Photobucket
(I loved my "newspaper print" outfit so much that I kept the tags! I got the outfit on the left for one of my birthdays. Oh how I miss it!)
Photobucket
(1988-8th grade-nothing like a kinky perm and a bottle of peroxide to make you look just plain hot)
Photobucket
(8th grade graduation-a little immodest, I know, but there were no dresses and this was modest compared to what my friends were wearing. And now the peroxide is growing out. Horrid.)

9 comments:

Nikki said...

Ahh good times. Love the acid wash pants, too! Classic! I, too, have fond memories of the roller rink. I went to my first boy/girl party there in 6th grade. I really wanted to skate with Ricky Ramos (as did all the girls), but he only skated with the birthday girl that night.

Roger and Stephnie said...

I am totally gagging at the way the 80s have come back too. Of course, that's just how fashion is. In another 10 years, we'll be wearing the 90s again. Yahoo! It is so nice that you can at least put your own spin on it nowadays! Your pics are great! Gotta love it!

Heather said...

You've come a long way baby!!! How funny! I LOVE it!!!!!!! The fact that you kept the tag off your newspaper print outfit cracks me UP!!! I too loved that outfit/newspaper print. No one ever knows what I'm talking about! Maybe they didn't wear it in UT! Thanks for the blast from the past!

Afton said...

First off, "gag" is a great word choice for this post. Didn't you used to say "gag me" when things were not to your liking. I know I did. Or how about this oldie: Gag me with a spoon! I happened to hear Valley Girl by Moon Unit Zappa on the radio the other day. I'm a bit older than you Erika (graduated HS in 87) but this was a very popular song when I was in Jr High. Everyone wanted to be Valley Girls, or at least dress like them. Listening to the song brought back so many funny/horrible memories of what it was like. I'd completely forgotten.

As for the roller rink, I think there is some cosmic law that roller rinks must never, ever change. I think even if they replace the carpet they have to order it from some special 1970's retro place that has red groovy carpet that has already been worn thin. Last time the kids went skating I requested Love Shack and the DJ had no idea what I was talking about. He played plenty of Journey though. And he was like 17!

Finally, remember Esprit! That was the coolest when I was in HS. I would have loved all my clothes to have been from Esprit. Or Benetton...but Benetton was so expensive. And it was completely intimidating to go in the store because everything was folded and if you unfolded something to look at it, a store employee would be right behind you to refold it the second you put it down. I used to go to the Esprit outlet in SF and could have spent all day there shopping and buying brightly colored clothes in clashing colors.

Those were the days.

Erika said...

You always explain things perfectly Afton. You grew up right in the heart of the 80s so you know about all this so much better than I! Roller skating rinks give me the willies, and so true about the carpet. I was never able to get anything Esprit (too expensive with 10 kids) so my mom made me an outfit that was an Esprit pattern--I'll have to post it sometime. I wore it for my 5th grade picture--that and one of those plastic bracelets with water and glitter inside.

Emily said...

My daughter was given a pair of stirrup pants for Christmas...and I had to laugh! Also, what is with the brightly colored flannel shirts? Those were in too. The babydoll dresses with leggings?....and it's getting worse. What is up with the huge black elastic wastebands/belts and the nonflattering skirts attached to them? It's definitely GAG worthy for sure...like you know, like ok, like totally ok! (I am so with the perm thing...graduated in 1991)

Nikki said...

Did anybody where 2 pair of socks (in different colors)and do a red/green on one foot and green/red on the other? With pegged pants, of course. How about the sweaters with matching leg warmers? That was 4-6 grade, I think, for me. Cindy Lauper and Wham--ahh, memories! I so coveted the Esprit and Benetton and Guess stuff. We couldn't afford that stuff either. (though I did buy one Esprit shirt on clearance in HS. I was a cheapskate even then! My Dad would be so proud) If I ever get a scanner I'll let you see the 80's/90's Nikki. Love 'Gag me with a spoon'! (we are both '93 grads aren't we, Erika?)

Erika said...

Yes to all of it Nikki! I even had a poster of George Michael on my wall.

Braden said...

i love the 80's! granted i'm a little younger so it was more of my elementary years. but i'm not gonna lie i love leg warmers and the whole bit. maybe skip the permed hair and the sick stuff but i love the music and everything! i love your pictures they're funny to look back!