Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Be Kind

Photobucket
If there's one thing I ever teach my kids, it is to be mindful of other's feelings. I think this is something that I have always done, or tried to do, my whole life, and I want my kids to be observant and to see when someone needs their love or friendship. I think I have succeeded when it comes to handicapped people or people with disabilities. My kids are very compassionate and I have never heard them once make fun of someone "different", only to be concerned or ask what is wrong with them. Call me crazy, but I cringe when I hear people use the word "retarded". Even if it's meant in fun, it makes me sad. Wanna know why? Well I have an older sister, my eldest sister actually, who is mentally retarded, and I love her to pieces. People who make fun of mentally challenged people need a slap in the face and are just plain mean. So I am very defensive of my sister, and anyone else with challenges, and can't even tolerate the word "retarded." I also don't tolerate my kids calling someone "fat". Even if it's for fun. It sounds mean. I don't want my kids growing up saying mean things. I know we've heard this a million times, but, would Jesus talk like that? I have to often ask myself this in the things that I say.

This all brings me to Pierce's playoff basketball games last night. Monday they won their first playoff game. We were surprised and happy. It was a close game. Last night, he won his second playoff game and I have never screamed so much in my entire life. Again, it was a close call with lots of yelling and screaming the whole way through and not just from me. Lots of fun. These 2 wins qualified them to play the final playoff game. Which they didn't win. And it was okay. They played hard and did their best and they handled the loss very well. Except for when the other team (who had never lost a game either), when doing the little hand slap they always do at the end of the game to say "good game" with eachother, when walking by Pierce and some of his teammates, called them "losers" and laughed at them. Ouch. That hurts. Tears came and feelings were hurt. What a horrible thing to say. So on the drive home I turned this into a learning experience and had a long talk with my 3 kids who were with me (Gwen was at home doing homework and Ryan is out-of-town) about feelings and to think of how others might feel before we say something hurtful. We knew what it was like to be on the receiving end. We don't ever want to be the ones doing the name calling and hurting others. Pierce was in tears most of the way home. He was so sweet to me and thanked me for supporting him. He also said "I love you mom" and reached over to me for some kind of comfort. What a precious moment. I think this was one learning experience he will never forget, and that my folks, is what life is all about.
Photobucket

4 comments:

Heather said...

Sweet Les!!!!! It has been hard but so good for us! Wish I was a nicer child...So I don't blame Pierce or other children-they just don't get it but they still need to be taught!!!!! That was a good lesson. I've shared personal experiences of when I hurt someone or when I was hurt as a child/teenager so they can see what it does to someone, for real!!!

Nikki said...

I love hearing women in RS share experiences of stealing something from the store and being hauled in to pay/apologize to the manager. (or some other example of a life lesson like that) These things stuck with them from early childhood. It gives me hope that mine will remember and be a little smarter the next time it comes around. I am very sensitive about children being teased. I instantly burst into tears when I even think someone is tormenting another who is different. It happened the other day. One of the boys was telling the other about something someone said at schoool and I didn't hear the whole conversation. I thought my kid said it. I starting bawling and started in on a speech, then they assured me it was someone else. They got the toned down version since it wasn't them. So sorry Pierce's season had to end on a sour note. But tell him Good Job from Auntie Nik! I bet he is very fast.

Afton said...

Man, those experiences really break my heart. Why do kids have to be so mean. On the other hand, it's a lesson. Lessons stink sometimes though. But really, I bet he won't soon forget how that hurtful comment made him feel and it sounds like he's already on his way to being a kind and thoughtful young man.

Emily said...

What a great Mom! Turning something that is very painful into a learning experience will help him so much in the future. It's life. We get hurt, experience hard things at the hands of others...and then we learn from it. Good job Mom!