
Well, all the festivities are officially over. What a weekend we had, starting Friday morning and ending yesterday. To keep this post short, I won't go into lots of details, but graduation was everything I thought it would be and more. It was a rainy day but that didn't even phase us as we celebrated Ryan's accomplishments. He looked dazzling in his cap and gown and as the orchestra started playing "Pomp and Circumstance" one couldn't help but get emotional. I had to really try hard to not think about all we've been through at that very moment or I would have really started crying, but it was so special to see Ryan walk down the aisle with his classmates. We had two ceremonies--the first was where President Monson spoke, and we were pleasantly surprised to have the whole First Presidency there with us. President Monson's "speech" was really good, as always. He spoke to the graduates on remembering their "ABC's". A is for attitude--the importance of having a positive attitude. B is for believe--believe in yourself that you can accomplish your goals. C is for courage--having courage to face what comes your way, courage to go out there and make things happen. The second ceremony was much more personal as it was just for the College of Science graduates. Ryan got to walk in again with his classmates to a string quartet and it was just as exciting. There he received his "fake" diploma. There were beautiful flowers everywhere and I really enjoyed how nice Weber State made everything for these ceremonies.
Saturday I threw a party for Ryan at his parent's house since there's no way ours would accomodate the 70 family members who came. The rain had cleared and it was a beautiful day, though a tad windy. I prepared a taco/burrito/taco salad bar with all the fixings (Cafe Rio style), fruit kabobs, chips and salsa/guacamole (thanks Erin!), and strawberry cream cake for dessert (if you see what looks like beer bottles in any of these pictures it's root beer or other sodas Ü). I was pleased with how it all turned out as I had put a lot of preparation into it. It was all so worth it for my Ry Ry!
So now that graduation is over, school is done (for now), the party's over...now what? It feels kind of weird to have this pause. Ryan is thrilled to have this pause and anxiously went off to work at the farm this morning. He is not one to sit idle and needs to be doing something, so the farm is just what he needs. So for now that's what he'll be doing as we hang in limbo some more. We do have some good news in that Ryan was invited to go to Preview Weekend this weekend at EVMS in Virginia (where he's on the wait list). I'm so excited for him to go. We're praying for good things to come of this as our options are very limited now. It's all about trusting in the Lord.












Mother/Daughter


What are they pointing at?

Blair and Dennis made a "Ryan" doll--lots of inside jokes that I won't go into, but the feet were glued on backwards, head gear, tight pants, sporadic facial hair, yellow eyes, sweater tied around neck, pipe/sweat shop worker, etc. They are so clever!!


Playing with the party favors (they're pens)






Uncle Brandon gave Pierce a little dunk

Burrito in the mouth. Don't look at the windblown banner I made--it didn't qwork too well with the wind twisting it all about

Our kids' gift to Ryan was attacking him with silly string



I couldn't leave him totally defenseless, so I tossed him a can to get the kids back





Oh how I love my college graduate! This has been a long time coming and we're so proud!
(thanks to Heather I have all these pictures! There's no way I would have had time to take any and she did a fabulous job!)
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









5 comments:
Beautiful Party! All I am saying is move here. He can go to http://www.ncnm.edu/ That way he can live in Oregon, be a family practice ND, (they actually do quite well and it's the wave of the future!). You can throw one major awesome party and I even enjoyed the banner blowing in the wind. I can tell it took time to make. And I loved the San Pelegrino in your hand :)
The San Pel was for you and Afton!
WOOHOO!!! So glad it was a great weekend! Thanks for sharing!!!
Congratulations to all of you!! Ryan couldn't have done it without his supportive and amazing wife and children. What a great accomplishment for your whole family. What a great example of faith, hard work, trust and love you are setting for your children! We are so happy for you!!
Gage and Christina
It was a great party! You did a fabulous job!!!
Post a Comment