Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Tempering

Photobucket
Several days ago I whipped up a delicious batch of pastry cream for some tartlets I was making. As we know, this can be a tricky task in regards to the eggs. If you quickly throw those egg yolks right into the boiling hot cream mixture they will curdle right up resulting in lumpy, scrambled egg cream, rather than silky smooth and lusciously creamy pastry cream. One must temper the eggs slowly, gradually incorporating them little by little, into that hot pot of fiery inferno. This takes time...some work...and lots of patience...

I thought of this little analogy of mine just last night while having a late night talk with Ryan in bed. The remark was made in conference--which I've heard a million times before but it was different this time--that our trials we are going through now will prepare us for the ones we face ahead. Isn't that how our whole life is? We start out little, as a child, with very minor concerns or trials, and as we grow older the trials gradually increase, preparing us for the next thing ahead. Just as those little golden yolks need to be slowly tempered, so do we so that we too can withstand the heat and become something wonderful...and it always takes time, work, and patience. Elder Richard G. Scott said that God loves us perfectly and "would not require us to experience a moment more of difficulty than is absolutely needed for our personal benefit or for that of those we love." (p. 29 March 2010 Ensign)

One last thought--I was recently given the book "The Remarkable Soul of a Woman" by someone who knew I needed it desperately. This is President Uchtdorf's recent book, short and sweet. I absorbed every word because it was exactly what I needed to hear. And do you want to know the very last scripture he quoted, on the very last page as his final thought? I think he wrote it just for me Ü. It is this:

Search diligently, pray always, and be believing,
and all things shall work together for your good,
if ye walk uprightly and remember the covenant wherewith
ye have covenanted one with another.
~D&C 90:24

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Beautiful. I love, and I'm sure the Lord does, too, how moldable you are. Where can I find that book?

Christina said...

Erika I love your posts! You are such a remarkable person and the title of that book fits you perfectly.
I just got off the phone with Ken and I just want you to know that you are in are prayers. I know it will all work out for your family. Some how it always does it may not be the way we planned it but in the end it is exactly what we needed to grow closer to our Heavenly Father and is Son our Savior Jesus Christ.
Throughout this medical journey I have come to know our Heavenly Father and Savior personally. It is tough from the start to finish, but he has always been there through the whole process. From the MCAT to graduation and now Residency. I think this waiting thing is just all part of the process. Good Luck!!

Roger and Stephnie said...

I love that analogy! Thanks for sharing it!