Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Geography Lesson

Photobucket
We have a very large map hanging on our office wall of the United States. Ever since Ryan applied to medical school, almost a year ago, we hung this up and marked all the places he applied to with a small star sticker. As the rejections slowly started coming, the stickers started coming off. Another place scratched off the list. I would often look at the map in despair, especially with only a couple stars left. But now I can look at the map happily, excited to make the long journey to Virginia with the kids. They look at the map just about every day, planning the route we'll take. I think they are just as excited as I am, which is such a blessing. This has been a great geography lesson for Gretel and Christian especially. So I've been doing a little research on Virginia. I figure our family ought to get to know the place we will soon be living in and I'm curious about a lot of stuff. So, here's a little lesson for us all today on the beautiful state of Virginia, otherwise known as "The Birthplace of a Nation".
• Virginia was named for Queen Elizabeth I of England, who was known as the Virgin Queen. Sir Walter Raleigh may have suggested this name around 1584
• State nickname: "Old Dominion"
•State motto: "Sic Semper Tyrannis" (Thus Always to Tyrants, but I think it sounds more like one of Harry Potter's spells if you ask me!)
• State bird: Cardinal
• State dog (didn't know states had dogs): American Fox Hound
• State insect: Tiger Swallowtail butterfly, my absolute favorite ever since I was a little girl! (The yellow and black ones)
• State shell: Oyster
• State dance (Ha!): Square dancing-yee haw!
• State flower: American dogwood (it's actually the blossoms on the dogwood trees)
• State beverage: Milk-say what?
• Bordering states: Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, (and Washington D.C. which is about 3 hours from where we will be living)
• 8 U.S. Presidents were born in Virginia, among them: George Washington (1732) and Thomas Jefferson (1743)
• Jamestown was the first English settlement in the U.S. It was also the first capitol of Virginia
• Virginia was the 10th of the 13 original colonies. It was admitted to the union on June 25, 1788
• The first Thanksgiving in North America was held in Virginia in 1619.
• Over half the battles fought in the civil war were fought in Virginia--over 2,200 of 4,000 battles
• The American Revolution ended with the surrender of Cornwallis in Yorktown
• About half of all the people in the U.S. live within a 500 mile radius of the capitol of Virginia (Richmond)
• The Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel is the world's largest bridge tunnel complex (it's a little freaky knowing that you are driving under water!)
• Major industries: Farming (tobacco, peanuts, corn, sweet potatoes, poultry, ham), tourism, U.S. Navy warships, mining (coal), lumber (for paper and furniture), government workers
• There are 3,000 peanut farms
• 92,000 acres of peanut plants
• 250 to 350 million pounds of peanuts produced annually
• 3,000 pounds of peanuts per acre average production
• Produces 6 to 8% of the nation's peanuts annually (but still tobacco is their major cash crop)
• The first peanuts grown in the U.S.A. were grown in Virginia
• The largest city in Virginia is Virginia Beach
• People who live in Virginia are called "Virginians". So I've been a Californian, an Idaho-an, -ite, whatever, a Utahan, and now soon to be a Virginian--can't wait! (and I can't wait until I can post my own pictures)

That's all the trivia for now folks. I have a feeling I'll have more for you later. By the way, this still doesn't feel real. Sometimes I have to tell myself that it really is!
Photobucket
Cape Henry lighthouses
Photobucket
Monticello, Gabriele Rausse, Charlottesville
Photobucket
Cascades Waterfall
Photobucket
Sunset on Virginia Beach
Photobucket
Virginia Beach
Photobucket
King Neptune (Tritan in my mind) on Virginia Beach
Photobucket
When I see pics like this, I can just imagine the Indians and early settlers there
Photobucket
I love this picture. Too bad it wasn't bigger
Photobucket
Dogwood blossoms
Photobucket
more flowering pink dogwoods
Photobucket
Jamestown Ship Discovery
Photobucket
Rudee inlet
Photobucket
Oh how I've missed the ocean and the salty sea air!
Photobucket
I think I can see Pocahontas in her canoe!
Photobucket
Photobucket
I have always wanted to see the east coast (New England) in the fall
Photobucket
"Just around the riverbend!" (We're addicted to Disney's Pocahontas lately--I cry every single time. So sad.
Photobucket
Virginia Beach oceanfront
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Ryan took this picture while looking at a house this past weekend. This is the time of year when all the azaleas are in full bloom. We had these in California, my mom loves them and so do I!
Photobucket
Photobucket

7 comments:

Nikki said...

That was fun! The pics are gorgeous. How far from the ocean will you be? Did you say you'll live in Norfolk? Will you rent? How big is the town? I can't wait to talk to you this weekend about it!!!

Erika said...

We are looking at homes in Virginia Beach--there are tons for sale. I think we might be 15 minutes or so from the beach, just depending where exactly we end up. We're hoping to buy--the rentals are expensive and it would be cheaper to buy. Ry's school is in Norfolk--15 or 20 minutes away from Virginia Beach. Can't wait for Saturday!!! Sticky buns here I come!!!

Erika said...

So this means that y'all need to take a road trip sometime and come see us! I mean it! Lots to do and see.

Emily said...

It looks amazing! My aunt lives in Virginia. Her husband is in the Navy and is staying there for the next 5 years. So when we go to visit, we will definitely have to visit and get a funnel cake on the beach with you and your cute family!

Afton said...

I had a good friend who was raised in VA and shared this quote with me. She says it hangs cross stitched, painted, or otherwise in many homes of Virginians:

To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Foreign Country, and a Benediction from Above.
-Anonymous

Braden said...

i'm so excited for you guys! it looks beautiful there i hope you keep blogging while you're gone so we can all keep up on you guys. i'm going to miss your girls they are so sweet

Heather said...

Nice idea. I enjoyed the Virginia facts! Beautiful pics. You guys are going to love it!