Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Friday, May 7, 2010

Prepared

Photobucket
When we were in Virginia in January, I noticed signs by some of the freeway entrances saying "Hurricane Evacuation Route". This caught my eye. In a way it was a good thing, and in a way a bad thing. Good, because I felt safe knowing that the city had an emergency plan in force. Bad, because I knew if we moved there we might have to actually USE this emergency plan. At Ryan's school they also mentioned that they have plans in force in case of flooding or hurricane.

So I've been thinking. Are we prepared? Our 72-hour kits were on my mind last night as I lay in bed. I checked them out this morning to see what the date on the food kits were--and I couldn't believe it has already been a couple years since I replaced the food. It seems like just yesterday I was buying new food to put in them. So as we are packing and preparing for this move, emergency kits are first and foremost on my mind. I'm happy with our food storage--in recent years this has been almost an obsession of mine and I happily add to it each week, just adoring my shelves full of various foods. We recently bought more water drums so I think we're good there too. But it's the idea of a quick evacuation that really makes me want to have our 72-hour kits in top shape.

You know, I don't feel threatened by this at all. Maybe growing up in California with the earthquakes, flooding, and wildfires has helped prepare me and Ryan for this a little. I know that we'll be fine, and I can't wait to see what kind of emergency plan our ward/stake has in place. So what kinds of foods do you have in your 72-hour kit? I'm thinking of revamping ours a little. Any ideas?

1 comments:

Emily said...

I have used our kits when we were moving into our house...juice boxes, craisins, jerky were all hits at our house. Granola bars taste funky and really don't fill them up. Also, if you get those banana chips in your food storage or apple chips, those went over well. And I know it's gross, but those canned wiener things are great too. It has to be completely prepared and able to eat without a bowl, heated water, and hands is always good.