Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Dining Room Revealed

Ryan has officially completed our dining room (area) today! He has been so sweet to do everything I asked him to. It's amazing how he just makes things work, even if at first it seems like there is no possible way (i.e. platter hangers Ü). He's the man and deserves a "major award" (what movie?) for all his hard work. There is almost nothing more satisfying than to see before/after pictures and the enjoyment that comes when looking at the results of all your labor. So this is what it looked like before...I know, could have been a lot worse, but here it is:
Photobucket
Photobucket
living room looking into dining room

I liked the color of the walls when we moved in but it was flat paint (yuck). So we went to Home Depot, got it color matched in an egg shell finish, and voila. Ryan got the crown molding, bead board, and baseboard while we were still in Utah and painted it there. We got the engineered wood flooring at Lowe's in Auburn finish (I believe). Ryan said it was so easy to put together and glue down, the easiest he's ever worked with. The light fixture was from Home Depot--how does approx. $30 sound rather than a minimum of $100 for a chandelier? That's one thing we tried to do in all this--get the most inexpensive things we could find, yet still loved. The 2 platters hanging on the wall are from none other than Target and the hangers I had to buy online (can't remember the name of company). But the hangers didn't work like they should have so Ryan did some handy dandy work and got them to work! The mirror and picture of Jesus as a child I have had for years and love. The curtains and rod I got for a killer deal at JcPenney when they were having a major sale, plus I had a coupon, plus the sales girl gave me even more of a discount I wasn't aware of, so hey, we scored there! The table, ahhh the table, this is our old black table now turned a creamy white (West Highland White, Sherwin Williams)! Ryan then sprayed it with lacquer and it's absolutely beautiful. I can't tell you how much we are enjoying our new dining room! Thanks to my Ry-guy!!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
This chair used to be black also. I sewed the chair pad using some Ralph Lauren linen napkins from TJMaxx and some batting.
Photobucket

7 comments:

Afton said...

Wow! So pretty and inviting. Relaxed yet elegant. Love it! Makes me want to make some changes around here! I love finding things for a song and making them work, although I don't do it much. I am going to redo my 2 youngest boy's bedroom and found some things on craigslist instead of running off to Target for something new. yay me!

Erika said...

Craigslist rocks. We found a sofa sleeper on it for a terrific price and love it. Why pay full price when you can get it gently used for so much less? (the mattress was only slept on twice). Pictures to come, of course Ü.

WheelersFamily said...

Erika you are so talented. Really! You should be an interior designer/writer. You have great taste. I love the bead board and love that it's not over crowded.

Patrice Pedersen said...

DARLING

blog n' tell said...

I love the bead board and the white table...Very Cottage by the beach...perfect for your area!! I love the transformations that can take place with a little paint and imagination!! SUpeR Job...Can't wait to see your cute little white kitchen!!

Nikki said...

OOO! love it! It all looks awesome. I still don't have dsl at my house, so no updates with pics. Chris put in our floor in kitchen and dining. It is rockin! Will finish up kitchen and main bath this weekend. It is going to be so cute when it's done! Love all your posts. I'm glad all is well. Love the beach pics of pierces bday and gretel with the butterfly. We are settling in nicely and feel at home here. Kids start school Aug 24, Thomas' bday. (again!) Take care. Nik

Heather said...

I've missed so much since I haven't been checking blogs for so long! I love the dining room! It is sooo cute! And the butterfly pics are so cool! You guys are settling in well! Oh to have the beach so close!!!!