Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Because it's cheaper than therapy

Why do you blog? Lately I have been asking myself that. Since we've moved, my reasons have evolved. This is for friends and family we rarely see. This is for sharing our adventures in medical school. This is to look back on one day with what I hope to be great fondness. This is for my kids, my grandkids, a part of our day-to-day history, and who knows how long it will last. This is a creative outlet for me, a place where I am queen, where I can express myself and not have to worry about what anybody else thinks. And when I am feeling in a foggy funk that I just can't seem to escape from? This is cheaper than therapy! And I love all my friends out there who offer that therapy to me through their own blogs, whether they realize it or not. Let's face it, life isn't always all roses and sunshine, and sometimes you just need to express the good and the bad.

I was going to attempt to write about recent happenings, but honestly, I'm really not in the mood. My mind is a million miles away it seems. I am dreaming of a far away place--a cabin in the woods of Vermont, a house on the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee, or a charming little cottage on Tybee Island. A place where I can just BE. A place where it is quiet, calming, a place where I can be one with nature. An escape. If I didn't have work today I'd be at the beach right now, wrapped in a blanket. Can you tell I am in need of some therapy? The famous phrase, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" keeps running through my head. Who really believes this anyway? There is no truth to it whatsoever, but at least it's worth a try to make ourselves believe it when we've been hurt. How does one get rid of the hurt? Well, if you believe in Jesus Christ, you know the answer. Through Him. Through the Atonement. Through Him we can truly flourish, just as I have been trying so hard to do. But it's not easy. It's not supposed to be. Life is a forever learning process and I'm a forever work in progress...
Photobucket

3 comments:

Emily said...

I listened to playlist for a couple hours yesterday....glad you are feeling better. We all have days where the world seems bleak...thanks for the wonderful music!

Erika said...

Thanks Emily, glad you like it. I think we share the same taste when it comes to music. I added a couple more songs just now that I like. I am loving Frou Frou these days.

Dorri said...

I totally agree blogging can be very cleansing. I just wish I hadn't shared my blog with a few people. Knowing that those special someones sometimes check my blog makes more careful with my choice of words. I wish I didn't have to be so careful, but it if I'm not it only causes more problems down the road if I were to say something "mean" about their son/brother/uncle. But maybe that's good too, I would never what my children to read something I've written about their other parental unit and be hurt. Maybe I need to do a totally anonmous blog were I could vent it all out and no one would know it's me. Hmmmm
Anyway I'm glad that blogging has been good therapy for you.