Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Thursday, February 24, 2011

My Pyramid

My husband is a health nut and I am not. I'll admit it. As much as I try to eat healthy, I still have outrageous cravings that most of the time I give in to. While Ryan is grabbing for a piece of fruit or some baby carrots per se, I am rummaging around in the pantry looking for anything that is laden with sugar, even if it means settling for a stale marshmallow. Pathetic, I know. You don't have to tell me! I know. I have tried to make "life changes" in the past with my eating/exercising habits, but still have a long way to go in mastering that one! So once again my friends, it is time for me to kick it into gear. Enough of not being able to fit in half of my wardrobe. I am so sick and tired of trying to find something I can fit in each Sunday to wear to church. I'm tired of not being able to fit in my favorite, cute, even "hot" outfits (as Ryan would say) that have been a staple and such a joy to wear in the past--my cream Ann Klein suit, my magenta sweater-knit dress that's a little clingy and shows a little too much right now, my bright red "trapeze" dress, and my favorite black "Sandra Bullock" suit (I call it "The Proposal" suit). It's really ridiculous that I've let myself go like this. The past 7 months have been extra stressful, I'll give you that, but it is time to start practicing a little self-control. It really helps a lot that spring is on its way, doesn't it for everyone? It almost feels as if a weight is slowly being lifted from me, like the color is coming back to my life and I am starting to feel light and airy again, motivated to taking better care of myself.

So thanks to my health-conscious hubby, I have discovered some things to help me. He often shares with me the things he learns in his classes. In Neuroscience yesterday he learned that even if a drink has 0 calories, when your tongue tastes something "sweet" (even aspartame or artificial sweeteners) it tells your gut to release insulin which tells your body to store up energy (fat). This is good for me to know, because lately I have gone back to drinking "Crystal Light", otherwise known as "cancer drink" around our house. I know I shouldn't be drinking the stuff, but I thought it would be a good "go to" when I'm having a sugar craving. Deep down from my Atkin's days I knew I shouldn't be drinking it for some reason, but had forgotten. That is why! And of course for the fact that artificial sweeteners are just plain not good for you.

Ryan has been telling me about "My Pyramid".   Have you heard of it? You must try it out, I finally did. It's free and it's pretty cool actually! (I've just been on "analyze my diet" so far) It calculates the things you eat and the exercise you do and tells you what you need to improve on. For instance, my 2-mile stint each morning on the treadmill in 30 minutes is just not cutting it. "Needs Improvement" it says. And I agree with it. I could be doing more. So, if you're like me and want to feel "comfortable" in a swimsuit this summer or just want to get away from wearing your "fat pants" everyday, there's no better time to start than now!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The thing that has helped me get healthy the very most has been the Game On Diet. It takes common sense ideals like getting 7 hours of sleep, drinking 3 liters of water, exercising 20 minutes and eating 5 healthy meals a day, etc. and makes trying to achieve these ideas daily fun because you work together with 2-4 other dieters on a team against other teams. The incentive to earn points and win a cash pot at the end is one thing that keeps me going, but the fact that it is also 4 weeks and I know there is an end in sight is another. Of course the biggest incentive is not wanting to let my team down. At the end of the 4 weeks I feel great and have established some great habits. I've done this diet 3 times now and will most likely do it again. There is a book, but--warning--the author is unfortunately a potty mouth. But if you can skip past those parts, it's a fabulous book with great ideas and a great program.

Emily said...

I love My Pyramid and used it all the time when I was in my nutrition class. I also use lose it and my fitness tracker on my phone. It calculates the major nutrients for me. Good for you for breaking the 0 calorie drink cycle. That stuff is cancer...period. I can't have any of it because it gives me headaches. I have done the game on diet but the actual meal plan is too many calories and carbs for me. I am right there with you though. I am slowly increasing my treadmill time to 45min....and then hopefully an hour. They say if you exercise 60 min a day (5 to 6 days a week) you will maintain your weight. You can do it !!!

Mike Cranney said...

Erika, This post cracks me up. It is interesting to see and hear how the lives of so many different women have the same issues. I swear every sunday there are eight outfits on my bed because Jenn cant pick which one to wear for church. She also has a pair of "fat pants." anyway great post. I really enjoy your blog.

Afton said...

I just realized I posted as Ethan.