Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pictures of the Day

Photobucket
After cleaning two houses this morning and no other work on the agenda today, I decided on the spur of the moment to head to the beach. I didn't even have to think twice about it on a lovely day like today. I spent an hour there with me, myself, and I, a few surfers, and the occasional man walking his dog. It was the perfect setting to get out my lesson material for Sunday's lesson which includes the miracle of Jesus calming the storm and the sea. It was some good thinking time. I couldn't help but thank Heavenly Father in my heart for sending me and my family to such a beautiful place. I know that He knew of the challenges ahead of us here and that I would need some place like the ocean. A place where I felt at home. A place to escape that's free of charge when funds are low. A place where I could commune with Him and renew my spirit. Medical school is not the only reason we were sent here. That's the main reason, of course, but slowly and surely many other reasons are being made known to me and I love having that surety that this is where we belong and that there are things for us to learn here.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
My collection of doo-dads
Photobucket
My camera didn't focus right, but that little crab's eyes were looking right at me (or what's left of a crab)
Photobucket
Atlantic sand dollars are different than Pacific--these ones have the slits or holes in them, Pacific are all solid with no holes. Interesting.
Photobucket
Photobucket
When my mama was here she bought us this gardenia plant. It has been blooming wonderfully in our house. Can't wait for it to warm up a little more so we can plant it.
Photobucket
My favorite picture of the day--I call it "To Everything There is a Season". This is a dried up gardenia I plucked off the plant. The sun was shining in the window and this is what I came up with. I love how it glows, so magical!

And my favorite hymn as of late which I think is appropriate for this post:

Master, the tempest is raging!
The billows are tossing high!
The sky is o'ershadowed with blackness.
No shelter or help is nigh.
Carest thou not that we perish?
How canst thou lie asleep
When each moment so madly is threat'ning
A grave in the angry deep?

The winds and the waves shall obey thy will:
Peace, be still.
Whether the wrath of the storm-tossed sea
Or demons or men or whatever it be,
No waters can swallow the ship where lies
The Master of ocean and earth and skies.
They all shall sweetly obey thy will:
Peace, be still; peace, be still.
They all shall sweetly obey thy will:
Peace, peace, be still.

Master, with anguish of spirit
I bow in my grief today.
The depths of my sad heart are troubled.
Oh, waken and save, I pray!
Torrents of sin and of anguish
Sweep o'er my sinking soul,
And I perish! I perish! dear Master.
Oh, hasten and take control!

Master, the terror is over.
The elements sweetly rest.
Earth's sun in the calm lake is mirrored,
And heaven's within my breast.
Linger, O blessed Redeemer!
Leave me alone no more,
And with joy I shall make the blest harbor
And rest on the blissful shore.

4 comments:

Afton said...

I love that hymn, but it reminds me of a time on my mission when we were in a small community, staying temporarily in a mobile home and there was a terrible storm one night. The building rocked and rolled all night and I was terrified and couldn't sleep. The storm door blew off the front door and the kitchen window broke and the power went out and our little heater stopped working (I was in Alaska by the way). I was sang this song to myself all night long while my companion sawed logs next to me. I guess only one of us had the true spirit of that hymn. :0

Beautiful photos, by the way. How nice to be so close to the ocean.

The Tyler's said...

I am so glad you made that decision to go to the beach. What a perfect place to reflect. I need to ditch a couple kids and go try that..;)

Ok, so I have been reading the New testament everyday and I have fallen in love with it! I look forward to reading it everyday! And, everytime I read it I think, If I could only go to Erika's class to learn more and feel of her spirit! Maybe one of these days I'll ditch out on primary too!

Thanks for this beautiful post!

Nikki said...

beautiful, erika. i love you. nikki

blog n' tell said...

Oh that beach looks heavenly....I can only dream of that right now as I watch snow fall from my window!! SuPEr Jealous...but thanks for sharing...BeAuTifUL:)