Do you feel the change in seasons coming where you're at? I have to say that the last couple of days have been really hot and humid, but that doesn't stop that little clock inside me who has been whispering nothing but sweet thoughts about autumn time. I love the restful feeling I get this time of year, and not just because the kids are all back in school, but there's something else. And isn't it funny how we women get the natural urge to stock up our food shelves, bake and can during these cooler, calmer months?
Canning has always been a summer/fall activity for us since we've been married, but unfortunately since we've moved to VA I have not canned. I've made jam...plenty of strawberry freezer jam...but our home canned jars of fruits and vegetables are dwindling very rapidly. I'm sad. Our garden was a failure this year. We now know what to do and not to do next year. We were gone on vacation when peaches and pears were available to can (it's an hour and a half drive to get them, mind you), and I just feel bummed. Fruit is in season earlier here than what I'm used to in Utah, and I'm mad at myself for waiting too long to look for it. There is hope for apples though. We will have to drive to the mountains to go pick some (3 hour drive anyone?), but it's going to have to be done. We can't have bare shelves and all these empty mason jars this winter. It simply won't do. I am determined to buy as many apples as we can and make as much applesauce as we can!
So here's to all you ladies who may be busy canning. I envy you. Be grateful for the bounty you've been blessed with, that even though it's a lot of work, there's nothing more satisfying than to see those beautiful, glistening jars all lined up in a row on your kitchen counter.

What once was our zucchini, crook neck squash, and cantaloupe patch. Got maybe a couple zucchini early in the season, the rest nothing. They stopped producing.

The critters get to our veggies before we can-darn critters!
Emily's Corn Cakes With Black Beans
10 years ago









3 comments:
Poor Erika! So sorry your garden was a flop. You are not alone, though. It has been a weird year for gardens. I am lucky and have lots of tomatoes ripening, but many haven't been. I don't know why mine are doing so well. Better luck next year. You now have some experience. I loved your post on the empty house. Spoken like a true mother! ;)
Three tomato plants and loads of green tomatoes. I'm praying they turn red before the weather turns cool and the plants die. This has been an interesting year and I didn't do as much canning. I totally know how you feel though. I'm reorganizing the garage so our food storage is stored more efficiently. I always feel the need to stock up at this time of year.
I have never dared try canning but your post makes me want to... someday!
Post a Comment