Serendipity. Look for something, find something else,
and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs
than what you thought you were looking for.

~Lawrence Block

Monday, October 31, 2011

Content at 15

Photobucket
I think I have been looking forward to our 15th wedding anniversary all year! It's not that we are going on a trip or anything, I'm just excited to have hit the number 15 (on Wednesday). I mean, who says you have to go on a luxurious cruise, spend a fortune at an over-priced restaurant, or rack up the credit card bill on expensive gifts that can be lost or stolen in a heartbeat just because it's the big 1-5?

Yesterday in my gospel doctrine lesson I talked about "Elements of Happiness" (thanks to the tip from Sister Jensen's blog) and one of those elements is "Be Content." I could go on and on about being content...probably stuff I've already said before...but how wonderful it would be if we could all be truly content with the many things the Lord has blessed us with and not keep wanting more and seeking out things that are of little importance in the whole scheme of things. I had a "moment" last night when we were all watching a movie together, bundled and cuddled together in the family room with the fireplace roaring, and it was a moment of pure bliss and contentment. One of those moments in life as mentioned on "While You Were Sleeping" when everything is right in the world. I am so happy and content with the family that I have and love them more than life itself. I am so thankful that they are a part of my life that I just want to give them my all. I love that we all feel content together. Sure there are things the kids wish they could have but what fun would life be if you couldn't dream? If you did indeed have everything your heart desired, then what? If our experiences in the last few years have taught us anything, they have taught us how much to appreciate the small things and how to have compassion on those who are in need. I love to see my kids not take anything for granted. I love to see them scrimp and save and look for ways that they can be productive and earn money on their own as it is not freely given in our home. As it was said in General Conference, can't remember wording exactly, but it's perfectly okay for couples to have to scrimp and save. And even if you find yourself in that situation right now, just as we are, I know you can find contentment too...just "look to God and live." (Alma 37:47)
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Yay Erika and Ryan! Happy Anniversary. Glad you are well. It is wonderful to be content. I love the feeling! There is something so tiring about looking and scrambling for the next thing. It is important to dream and improve ourselves, too. But being happy with what we have, and where we are, and who we are is very satisfying.

Dorri said...

Happy Anniversary!! 15 yrs is awesome! And I have to say you both still look like you are 18. Being content is a wonderful thing. I look forward to being done with school and feeling some of that in my life again!

Afton said...

The philosopher Cheryl Crow once said, "it's not having what you want. It's wanting what you've got." This is so true. I love how you said what fun would life be if you couldn't dream. How true is that! Congratulations on 15 years and an even bigger congratulations on loving what you've got.

The Tyler's said...

Happy 15!! You two look so great. Looked like a great day at the beach!

Heather said...

Hey Erika! Long time no blogging for me! It is crazy to see how much I've missed in your life! You guys have been busy and soing really fun things! The storm was BAD! Yikes! It is really nice to get out of the blogging world. I have time to clean and cook and give my kids ssome attention but I now relize how much I miss YOURS!!! Sorry to be away! Good to see you guys again!! LOVE YA!!!